View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
AshleyO

Yeah. After about 6 to 8 episodes, I picked up on it pretty fast. The fire nation is white supremacy and imperialism all wrapped up into one.

I was looking at the map of The Last Air Bender and the fire nation is fairly similar in shape to the US.

The show also got on my nerves with the whimsical happy Nickelodean crap until it REALLY started picking up.

I'd say give it a chance if you can tolerate the first few episodes.

Zuko, Toph, and Katara are my favorites. Aang is alright, but I feel that the other three characters are so much more important.

I like how Toph is this blind earth bender girl who has a hobby of beating the shit out of pro wrestlers.

Zuko is interesting BECAUSE he comes from the fire nation, but is in exile for not being "good enough" and he's trying to reclaim his honor for a while until he turns his back on the fire nation and he's starting to develop a sense of justice. Unfortunately, his reputation proceeds him and now the whole world can't trust him.

Katara did some things in this one episode that I thought was really awesome. She ended up wanting to further her studies in waterbending and had to grapple with the sexism of the northern water tribe. She gets freakin' AWESOME moves later on and her relationship to Toph makes for a fun dynamic to watch.

One of my favorite episodes was when Sokka's skepticism was taken to task by a fortune teller loving town.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote