Thread: Avatar
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #45
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...mcrackery.html

It's a classic story line that has been played out in many many movies, just under different disguised settings... It's not a carbon copy rip-off of anything it just follows an already established story line like 99% of any other film in existence.
Holy shit dude I just saw this and this movie probably should get sued for plagarism. I enjoyed it, but my god the plagarism.

I enjoyed seeing the Night Elf forest from World Of Warcraft on the big screen, and their big sacred tree which they lived in was pretty cool too. I liked the mounts the Night Elves got this time but I had to laugh at the end when Pocahontas got her cat mount. When he got the big red dinosaur, it was like "yay! He got an epic flying mount!" During the day time it was more like the woods in the Blood Elf's forests, but mostly I thought Night Elves what with being nine feet tall, blue and pointy eared and living in communication with a huge big sacred tree and all. And the war paint being like the markings you can get on the female night elves.

I'm glad Pocahontas's mother was alive this time and I thought she had a better character and while suffering Noble Savage syndrome like the others she seemed to have more personality than any other of the Noble Savages. Pocahontas's character was noticable flat with the only way of distinguishing her from the other Noble Savages was that she was hotter (Cameron says he designed her so that men would go home and jerk off thinking about her, according to his interview with Playboy, which might explain why she's noble and hot and thats all you can say about her.) I'm glad that John Smith made friends with Kocoum before he was shot by the settlers. While the settlers didn't sing "Savages, Savages! They aren't like you and me, and so they must be evil!" this time, their constant saying of the word "savage" trying to be a euphemism for imperialism and how white people kill and blow shit up on the basis of gold/ore/oil/unobtainium and racism, it just didn't work.

I don't recall the Native Americans getting all the animals of the forest to kick the white man's ass (although they did help Pocahontas run to save John Smith in the Disney film) and when they finally said that this was also a euphemism for the Iraq war ("We're going to fight terror with terror!" ....They haven't done anything yet!) it fails absolutely miserably, in again like I said before having it all in black and white (again, Princess Mononoke did it first and did it far better. Actually, thats another thing, the Kodama were looking grand as jellyfish) and I don't recall the Iraqis summoning all the animals of Iraq to kill all the white people in America.

This would have worked better as a bloody war where we feel bad for people on both sides, and would have done better for the confirmed sequel, and wouldn't have just made this in a bad white guilt movie. I honestly didn't get much of a environmentalist feel from this either, it was exactly like Fern Gully in which it said "chopping down trees is bad" without addressing other major major environmental issues.

To try not to rant too much, I still enjoyed myself. But its like liking a beautiful person who's absolutely stupid and ignorant. You like looking at it and derive some sort of enjoyment and pleasure, but in the end they won't really matter and you won't fall in love.

Oh, one thing I did like other than the visuals: I actually thought Jake was cool, a lot of people said he sucked too but I enjoyed him. I liked how when he's first in the forest he has to poke at everything, it was cute. And like I said, I did enjoy Pocahontas's mom, the sequel should be about her.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote