View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
The army understands these differences and sets a different standard for physical fitness for males and females. I think that to allow females to posses combat jobs, they need to meet the standards for males. Anything less will weaken the unit. That's an easy fix, though. It'll bar most females. I really don't see most being able to realistically succeed given these conditions, but at least the ones who can phsyically hack it will still have access. I can't comment on things like pregnancy other then pulling shit out of my ass, so I won't.
I totally agree with this.. I think that if you're looking at a person with a view of having them complete a set task effectively (and ESPECIALLY when that task holds other people's lives in hand), then you need to know that the person CAN actually complete that task.

I used to work with two nurses, one who had a really severe intentional tremor and one who had her left hand amputated... it never bothered me to work with either of them because they could do the work that needed to be done. I worked with another who had back injuries and I hated it when he was on because he couldn't do the job - I understand that people with differing abilities should be able to work, but there are some jobs that just can not be compromised. When the nurse with the back injuries was on we spent most of the time filling in for his inabilities to perform, and ultimately our patients didn't get the care that they should be receiving because we were working with a patient:staff ratio of effectively 30:2 (with stand-by assistance from him) instead of 30:3.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote