View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #142
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Here's my first post: "Mentally healthy individuals do not gun down 26 people.

The de facto restriction of health care (it's expensive thus hard for people without much money to get) means some people are not getting the help they need. It's entirely possible that something like that coupled with the perception or reality of desperate conditions create an atmosphere of crushing despair that can push people to awful places.

It's all speculation at this point until more information comes out."

Is your position that mental health care costs are not a big deal? Because some people disagree http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19948605
Very much irrelevant to the particular case; the Lanzas were very rich and from what we know had access to mental healthcare and more likely than not took advantage of it. We knew that from the very beginning. But hey, its a white boy commiting crimes, it must mean he's crazy. Healthcare had absolutely nothing to do with this case.

Quote:
Yep! No interest in discussing that with you, and since we're not locked in an elevator you can't force me to.
How come? Does it make you uncomfortable? Why are you so comfortable talking about grandmothers getting hammered? Do you have a mental illness?

Quote:
Bald-faced lie. But like nearly every 'argument' we've had on this board it is due to you projecting what you wish I said instead of what I'm actually writing. Per the handy flowchart up above, this ain't a conversation.
Well, you are the one saying only the mentally ill have the capacity to commit atrocities, so yes, yes you are implying we are just ticking time bombs.

Quote:
Obviously it is because of their skin tone. There is literally no other possible explanation. I wish they warned me about it in White School.
Or maybe whiteness and white culture? Have you lived this long and not really thought about what it means to be white?

Quote:
Until people start linking to credentials everybody here is relegated to arm chair status.
But we're not the ones saying we can decide what is a disorder and what's not based on our emotional opinion on the fact.

Difference does not mean disorder, and like Absynthe said, its a spectrum. Gay brains are different. Trans brains are different. Women brains are different. Are we all disordered?

Quote:
It's when someone runs down the street screaming and dripping with bl--- no wait, that's not right...
Psychopathy describes a set of characteristics that can run a range from mild to severe antisocial or amoral tendencies.
THERE YOU GO. Being selfish does not mean one is mentally ill. Being callous does not mean one is mentally ill. It might make one an asshole, but not mentally ill.

Quote:
I explicitly stated that I did not believe mental illness removed individual agency, and yet here you are once again assigning things I did not say to me. It's kind of childish really.
You said that all atrocities, and remember I even brought up the Holocaust and the slave trade, had to be committed by the mentally ill. You leave no room for people with no mental illnesses to even be able to commit evil.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote