Thread: Sex industry
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Nah, she totally won this one. You're just being stubborn. Prostitution is, at best, a false sense of 'empowerment'. I've never known a prostitute irl, but I've known strippers. I don't know if it's the majority, but the ones *I* knew got into as a false sense of empower after they were ***** or sexually abused. It didn't empower them. It just made them think that most men are disgusting creeps.

Money doesn't wash the feeling of disgust from your skin. It just buys the drugs that make that line of work easier to do.
Plus given the risks prostitutes face, stds, **** (surveys show most johns don't think prostitutes can be *****, they also did a collection of opinions of johns a few years back that was pretty disturbing), murder (very high rate), plus they don't make much money. In a lot of places where prostitution is legalized, its not really. Brothels are legalized and the owners make millions, but prostitutes themselves are "contracted", so they have to pay to use the rooms in the brothels, I think the average cost of a room for the night in a brothel room in the Netherlands is 200 dollars.

Thats actually why I have issues with strip clubs, its not what they're inherently doing, its just most clubs don't pay them wages, they have to pay to be there and make all their money from tips, and many have to share their tips (to cover the cost of bouncers, bartenders, etc.)

I don't think a brothel could truly be free of monetary coercion without being a collectively run brothel.

But yeah, half thought out opinions are half thought out.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote