View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Saya

I can imagine that would strike a nerve! Maybe he didn't know that about your mom, but jeez, that's why you don't assume shit and say things like that.

If you want a good resource, I really recommend the book R ape: Sex, Violence, History by Joanna Bourke. Its basically a historical account of the last 100+ years in regards to how our view of r@pe and rapists have changed throughout the years, and the effectiveness of treatment. I remember the "men won't rrape if they are sexually satisfied" myth being brought up, I do believe that idea is Freudian in origin if I remember correctly (don't have the book in the house, sorry), but hasn't stood the test of time, namely because as Solumina said many rapists DO have regular sex lives, and even some rapists who were castrated and no longer had a sex drive ended up reoffending even more violently with an object. Most rapists don't believe they are rapists, but entitled to what they did, and yet interestingly enough many reported that they couldn't orgasm during the rrape. They don't get that much pleasure out of it at all.

It goes to show that even though most of academia and medicine don't believe that any more and moved on a while ago, it stays in the public conscious.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote