Thread: Eternal life.
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1325
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
When unsubstantiated beliefs are the foundation of actions that actively work to the detriment of society, for example informing (and I use that term loosely) their voting decisions, they are working to push their beliefs on a wider audience. If someone in their personal life believes that say abortion is wrong or women should be subject to their husbands or fathers whims, they have a stupid-bad belief system.

They don't have to knock on doors and ask people to convert or whatever, every sign they hold up, every dollar they donate to their cause, every political candidate who shares the beliefs they endorse is an act of proselytizing, or at least empowering another individual or group to proselytize essentially on their behalf.

Since we have to live in a world affected by the decisions made by these people, it isn't that outlandish to want to have some kind of rationale for terrible actions or the mentality that leads to them. When there is no reasonable basis I don't think it is out of line to point that out.

Your views can be informed by racism, sexism, ableism, etc and you can be an atheist and you can still vote unquestionably. Actually, American democracy was founded on the idea that it should be based on the white male racist slave owner's opinion, funny how democracy doesn't actually end oppression.

Not only that, but how do you dissect someone's religious or irreligious views from their political? And does that mean they have no right to being involved in the world? Should Liberation Theologists continued to watch people starve to death and do nothing just because their theology informed their Marxism? Should oppressed religious minorities such as Muslims not vote for the people least likely to diminish their rights? I know many women in rural communities who's religion informs their desire to reform for the better, such as getting their churches to fight for genderless marriage, just because I don't like HOW they got to that answer, I should think the answer is wrong, even if its the same as mine or yours?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote