View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Versus

Oh, hey. I totally forgot I was going to say something to you. :x Sorry for the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
Regarding your original question where I live Versus, the Texican community (the ones who can trace their roots to Texas when it was still a part of Mexico) tends to practice it without any knowledge of doing so. From my own experience, I can range from very pale olive toned to very tan and strangely enough, I tend to catch more crap in the summer from authority figures (doesn't matter from which ethnic group) when I'm at my darkest, yet when I'm pale, white people act less guarded when I pass them on the street.
White person with you = instant credibility. Just saying.

Quote:
I've observed the same behavior in my community, where women try to treat their hair (often disastrously bleached or straightened) and unconsciously attempt to make themselves appear paler. On the other hand the ones who have some white ancestry (occasional green or blue eyes, red or dark auburn hair) try hide it out of peer pressure. For the males, the darker the skin the more manly they're perceived.
You mentioned peer pressure. What do you mean? Do people in your community fight about it too?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote