View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Cuckoo, I think that the DoD has largely abandoned the idea of protecting the womenz as a defense, even if our culture hasn't.
^^^^This.

I've lost count of how many times I've been questioned about a female's role in the units I was assigned to since I was combat arms support. People who haven't served are surprised that female soldiers would be assigned a duty and they'd perform well, be it setting up a 30 m antenna to going beyond the wire in Iraq, or serving from the lowest pay grade to battalion commanders.

When given the response, "They've trained to be soldiers and to perform their assignments, just like I have," I tend to receive the "I don't get it," response. It's like they can't believe that females were also getting shot at and they could hold their own in various situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
That being said, women with combat arms does exacerbate a lot of problems that are already present, from what I have read and seen. That's more of an issue with the system than women themselves, though.
What do you think DoD can do to correct this? Sure, they can do what they've always done, which is have classes in the afternoon for a training session but how do you think we can address the problem within the system?
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote