View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #151
Despanan

How about this:

Irrational violence is either the product of an unhealthy mind OR someone who's reasoning faculties are otherwise impaired by an irrational world view deriving from mental conditioning, social ostracism or a faulty assumption about reality. It can also be some combination of the two.

Rational violence results from conditions where a rational individual with a healthy mind makes an informed choice to engage in violence because they reasonably believe that violence is the best or only tool for this particular interaction.

There can also be incidences where violence is both rational and irrational and we as a society must decide to what degree each sort of motivation is present.

We can then take each separate incidence of violence on a case-by case basis and stop being so goddamn dogmatic and intellectually lazy about it.

Trying to keep guns out of the hands of paranoid schizophrenics isn't ableism, because it's rational to do this, as their reasoning faculties are severely impaired. Trying to keep guns out of the hands of those suffering from minor depression or ADHD on the other hand IS ableism.

It might be best if we all just stop trying to make hard and fast rules about this kind of thing, and instead take it on a case-by-case basis.

It would probably also be a good idea if we also make an effort to be mindful of the kind of language we employ when talking about issues like this, lest we be mistaken by others as to what we mean.

Plus precision of language is always a good idea IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote