Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Yes, this is exactly it. My family happens to view Christmas as extremely religious and that's what Christmas is. That's how it is viewed nearly everywhere in the world. There may be other variations of it etc, but none of them fall into my beliefs. You posted the origins of Christmas - more things that I don't necessarily believe in to the full extent in which they're intended. I don't participate because I won't be something I'm not, plain and simple and I won't try and hide it. If family and friends want to get together during winter for something that's not christmas, that's fine.
The institution of Christmas WAS religious at one time, this is true.

But dude... Christmas HAS changed and the individualist culture has penetrated the sacred and turned Christmas into more of a secular thing.

For YOUR family, yes. It's the celebration of Jesus' birth. I can understand if you don't celebrate it with them because you're not really a spiritual person and obviously if they know that, they may find it at LEAST "unfortunate" that you don't share in the celebration of the virgin birth.

But seriously... don't make the mistake thinking that Christmas IS totally a religious holiday. It so isn't.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote