Thread: Oddest Job Ever
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #14
Stormbringer

Yeah, I was into entomology too. I seriously considered it as a career back when I graduated from high school (I ended up going to art school instead now I work in a call centre) I collected beetles for many years and wrote several papers based on my observations which were published by the South Australian Museum and the Victorian Entomological Society. I'm very pro-conservation these days and will only kill roaches.

If ever I find a spider inside I will always capture it in a jar and release it. I once had a big golden wolf spider in here. Lycosa aurea I think they're called - talk about difficult to catch! This spider is a tough, mean, survival machine ! They're not particularly venomous and if they do bite you, I think the symptoms are like those of a bee sting but it was too big a spider to ignore. Well, try as I might to get the jar over this guy, he was always two steps ahead of me - moving out of the way just as I tried to bring the jar down over him, then shooting off under the furniture or onto the ceiling. Being an active and agressive hunter they have excellent eyesight, and a certain degree of 'spidey sense' I'll bet.

Much to my regret I ended up wacking him with a rolled up newspaper. He curled up and I thought he was dead so I scooped him up into a jar and put it in the laundry basin. Next morning, much to my amazement, he had recovered and was as alert as ever, only having lost a leg. Amazing !
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote