View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #252
Pathogen.

I used to believe, for the longest time, that homosexuality was a mental illness. That was until I was in my 20s. That former false belief of mine came from being raised in a large, strict
Black Protestant family who believed that it was both a mental illness & "a sin against the will of God". Man & woman were made for one another, according to them. They also believed if a person's sexual priorities wasn't focused on the opposite sex, then something was deeply wrong with that person psychologically. Even long after the A.M.A. had officially omitted homosexuality off of its list of mental illnesses [1973], my folks, unfortunately, still believe being gay is equated with being a nutbag. I shutter to think what my folks's thoughts are on San Francisco, because there's hella gay/lesbian/bisexual/transsexual people here. Meanwhile, medical officials in Turkey consider homosexuality a mental illness & treat it accordingly [a little data I've gotten from a Oakland Squatter friend of mine; next time I see him, I want to ask him where he acquired his info].
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote