View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
They even go so far as to allow the player to make racist dialogue options. I remember in the Old Republic, there's a conversation you walk in on where an alien is trying to get help from a law enforcement guy who refuses to listen to him. Eventually, the alien calls him out on his bullshit like "You always treat us this way!" he turns to me and asks what I think, and I remember when I played through as an alien I had the option for "Well, they treat ME okay!" but when I played through with you as a human, it gave me the option for "Stop your whining." In Mass Effect, you meet Tali as she's being harassed by a racist human citadel security guy, and it still gives you the option to chime in.

Shit, even The Elder Scrolls games do it. In Morrowind, there are plantations with Khajit slaves, Oblivion has a city to the south where Argonians live in poverty and are treated like shit, and even Skyrim has a blatantly obvious part where THE FIRST THING you see upon entering Windhelm is a conversation where two Nord men are threatening a Dark Elf woman because she's a Dark Elf. If you talk to her after, she explains that the Dark Elves in the city moved there after Morrowind was blown up by a volcano and that they live in the slums and are treated like rodents by the Nords. AGAIN, the player has the option to say something racist.

It really makes me how white developers are so comfortable outing this shit in their games and don't even have the honesty to call it what it is.
I can't even deal with Windhelm. They treat the Argonians like trash and treat Dark Elves like shit. The stormcloaks are just way too nationalistic as well and the Jarl never seems to have anything to say on the condition of his highly racist town.

Which reminds me. I have a Dark Elf vampire with 100 in archery and the meanest dragonbone bow I could craft and double enchanted that should give that place a little visit.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote