View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #1475
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I... distrust Wikipedia. Immensely. Thank you for the link, though, I shall explore it at greater length later.
Discussions with non-editable entities are generally more fruitful. I'm reading into the political ideals expressed in R.C. and the potential for it to be considered a hypothetical essay on The Enlightenment.
One really should distrust Wikipedia, I agree. It's a great source of information but in it's current form only good for pointers and not facts.. which suit perfectly when it comes to book essays, because a book with a story is also never facts, it's something else. Say for example that one reader thinks of R.C as a story about a man who learned to be more godloving, openminded and appreciate the nature etc and writes an essay on that. The teacher or examinist says 'very good, you captured what the author wanted to say' while in reality Defoe might just have been utterly bored and wrote it as a neat adventure because he wanted to break out of the boring and monotuos life we usually live (while that's not true since the author himself denied it, it's putting one perspective on the wonderful things that are books and what people think and read from them) no matter what generation or era.

Sorry for that little essay, but felt it was a moment in time where I could mention it and see what people thought about it...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote