Thread: Re-Mod Xng!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #269
MrMaelstrom

I believe the moderator DirtNap to be quite right in his/her assessments of the situation.

Lets see: at least two members got involved in flame wars with trolls (herself and Xnguela.

Now, I've been around these boards often enough to tell apart members from "users".

If DirtNap is a recent arrival, it's quite obvious s/he won't be aware of such distinctions.

That's why Xnguela was made quiet for a while. S/he wasn't sure what was Xnguela's role in the flame war. Xnguela just got caught up in the middle.

DirtNap did the sensible thing and shut them all down (saints ans sinners together).

Kind of "kill'em all and let goth sort'em out".
DN was made aware of Xnguela's contribution to this site and things were resolved.

I have to admit, if I were DN, and I banned a member by mistake, or just because s/he was part of the problem at the time (and I have to admit that Xnguela's constant replying to trolls made our cleaning job a hell of a lot harder), I would reinstate her without flinching, but, if I didn't even have time to breathe between being made aware of what was going on and the member and supporters screaming blue murder (like they did on this very thread), I would probably not be so inclined to do it with the exact same predisposition....

I'm not always online. If I happen to be the only one who can ban/reinstate people and I don't do anything for a couple of days (because I simply haven't been online), members might just start screaming at me and my unfairness because they forgot that we do try to get away from this some of the time.

Next thing you know, we come back to find a revolution going on, people leaving and threatning to leave.....

I would have felt a bit like Moses coming down from the top of the mountain and finding that everybody started orgies and worshipping golden idols.

This is not what happened, mind you, but the feeling is the same.

J.B. can easily stand up for herself better than most people here.
If I happen to reinstate JB, then it is because I want to. It is because I feel I should.

But it will never happen because someone said I HAVE TO. No matter how right they may be, it will turn me into a stubborn son of a bitch. And no one will be reinstated as long as they may feel that it happened because they coerced me. (this is how I would behave).

Xnguela was made to be quiet for 2 days. It was a honest mistake (I believe).

It didn't deserve the kind of reaction it sparked.
It's internet, people.

Yes, we're good friends and buddies and all that happy shit, but no one died, no one is going to. Relax, explain things to the powers that be, and wait patiently for a bit before screaming at the top of your lungs about how unfair it all is.

Members were asked not to reply to trolls. They were not forbidden.

Flaming as always been an option for members (especially when moderators are absent), and an everyday dish 'round here. sure it went too far in many cases, but it was still always a viable option.

If anything, I only object that JB wasn't made "quiet" for a bit instead of completely banned.

If anyone wants to do some searching on this site, you'll find there is this troll, called El Borak who still being made "quiet", and s/he was an arsehole.

Juliet is not, and she was banned at the snap of a finger (it seems).

Some consistency would be appreciated. I would only suggest that DirtNap check with other moderators the handles of the people to be banned, as we have been around longer and have a clearer picture of who is trouble, and who is trying (even if unsuccessfully to control trouble). Xnguela is a perfect example of this.

I would also like members to not bitch and whine so fast when something happens. Give us time to take notice and do something before you accuse any of us of being an arsehole.

On another note, as well as asking that members use alot more often the ignore button, I'd like them to use the REPUTATION button a lot more.

It wouold give any outsider and any unaware moderator the reality of someone's standing on this site by its peers (or so it seems to me).

People aren't coming here for the literature ('cause right now, there isn't any).

They aren't coming here for me (although they fucking well should).

They are coming here to be around eachother. So show other members how right and wrong you think them to be.

USE THE REPUTATION BUTTON. LET'S SEE WHO IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO THIS SITE.

overandout