View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #20
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I think that perhaps the question might be better put as "Are people who can't perform up to task worth that risk to death benefits and combat readiness of their unit?" because (and please correct me if I've read you wrong..) I'm thinking that if a male could pass the standard expected of a female you wouldn't believe that he was capable of doing the job.

I'm thinking this has less to do with gender, and more to do with the armed forces having differing standards?
I'm not sure I understand you, but I'll try.

I think the different standards are realistic. Females don't have to compete with males in the jobs they do. Well, they do, but it doesn't really matter if she can or cannot because the job doesn't require it. I mean, yeah, it's the military, but it's not really the end of the world.

In the jobs they're restricted from, it kind of is. And to be honest, even the bare minimum standards for us isn't really enough. A soldier has to be able to meet the standard to come to us, but if they can't perform physically regardless of meeting the standard, we stick them behind a desk. Having seen how much this happens is pretty much why I'm not opposed to the idea. I realize that every body is different and there are exceptional and sub-standard people regardless of sex.

My whole thing is that I think the different standards are realistic. Females are tangibly different from males. Again, physical highs and lows from each. But I can be realistically expected to pass my basic training with the standards set. I think a lot of women will be able to, as well. I also think that a lot won't, but we have to give them the chance anyway. The problem is that chance is a 40,000+ dollar hit and potentially somebody's life.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote