Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #8043
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
It's not quite that cut and dried..

If someone in IT fucks up then a piece of code doesn't work and things get delayed until they're fixed. If I fuck up at the book shop then someone doesn't get their text book on time because it's been posted to the wrong address.

If a doctor fucks up then someone gets sick, or dead.

They are humans and they make the same amount of mistakes that we do. They are also often working under ridiculous amounts of pressure and in difficult circumstances, which increase the likelihood of mistakes.

They are also working with people who are under the impression that they are gods and therefore don't ask questions or query their thought processes, because of course a doctor would be telling them the right thing.

Basically - whatever a doctor tells you, ask them why. Ask them to explain the thinking behind their decisions. Ask them to tell you what medications are, why you should take them, what they will do, what the side-effects and interactions are.. and importantly - ask them for the things you should look for that will mean there is something going wrong, and the things that you should look for that will mean the medication is working. Always ask them when you should go back for follow up.

It's also helpful to go to the doctor with a list of questions written down so that you can ensure that each of them get answered to your satisfaction.

It's your body, remind them of that.. especially when they are trying to rush you out the door or fob you off without explaining things to you - "I understand that you are in a hurry, doctor.. but this is MY body that you are treating, and I have the right to know what is happening and to know what you are doing because this is MY body. I have agency over MY body, and I am paying you to help ME the same way that I pay a mechanic to fix my car... so kindly answer my questions now."
I agree with what you said too, but I've spoken to a lot of people, seen a lot of doctors in my time, experienced the good and the not so good. yes some people see them as Gods, and take their word as the gospel truth, but there are others who just are lazy, and who have their vision coloured by their previous experiences with patients (it's the way of medicine). Because it's human nature to be lazy, and allow our previous experiences to dictate our responses to current problems.

And I've seen it in all professions, it's just the way things are, and as a patient you have to be aware of this, ask questions and get a second or twenty second opinion until you get your issue resolved.

**My rant**

I got stung by a scorpion. Little fucker. Hurt like a bee sting, but for 2 hours.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote