View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
FistsofFury

(PART 3 of She Asked: "Why Bother?")

“So are you a gambler?” Connie asked Fred in a coy manner, playing with him a bit with a flash of her eyes and a tilt of her head. Fred just began to sing the chorus of that Kenny Rogers’ song. Yeah he didn’t get it but what was there to get? She was asking if they guy took risks often. Luckily Fred only sang two lines of the chorus. The lines he knew for sure.

“I don’t go out on a limb often if that’s what you mean. Better safe than sorry is my motto.” Fred shrugged as if he knew she wanted to hear something more dangerous. Connie was still smiling.

“You gotta know when you’re risking too much.” She nodded matter of factly.

“Oh yeah. Chasing the next best thing is a bad habit to get into. You aren’t totally sure its better. There’s no way to tell how the future is going to go.” Fred’s eyes were scanning the room as he spoke. The ceiling fans were dully humming. The news on the television in the corner was being drowned out by a mediocre smooth jazz instrumental of ‘Smooth Operator’.

“Wait are you being specific about something? I don’t quite follow you.” She looked at him with an expectant gaze that hinted “I think you’re bullshitting but go on”. He returned her glance with a confused but unapologetic smile. A hint of “I don’t know how to explain it to you” as their eyes reflected each other. Then they both burst into laughter. Genuine laughter that made the approaching waitress smile too.

“Hello. My name’s Via, how are you two today?”

“Fine and you?” Connie said as she took a menu.

“Alright and yours so far?” Fred asked as he was handed a menu.

“Pretty good can’t complain. So what will it be for the lovebirds?”

“Oh. Um…we’re not-” Connie stammered

“I’ll have a glass of water and a plate of chili cheese fries please.” Fred smiled as Via the waitress looked down at her scribbling notepad trying not to giggle.

############################################

While Fred promptly took Connie’s 10 dollar bill and walked to the front counter Constance cleared her throat and took a sip of water. As she swallowed the cold liquid she thought about how her chemistry with her date was lukewarm. As Fred chatted with the owner (Ruby)’s brother and received his change Connie rationalized that what some would label lukewarm chemistry others would call a subdued vibe. As the grinning Fred strolled back to the booth Constance renewed her commitment to giving the nice guy a fair shake.

“What is 15% of $20?” Quizzed Fred.

“$3. We should leave at least 5. Via was nice to us.” Fred was surprised she remembered the waitress’ name as he stood fumbling with his wallet. Connie took one last long gulp of water and stood up.

“I’ll take care of the tip.” Connie slipped a folded $5 on the table and put her empty glass on top of it. They ambled toward the door with Fred in front. Fred turned slightly behind him to say:

“The tip will be all wet.”

“It is just water.” Connie answered matter of factly.

Fred held the door open as Connie walked out into the street stretching. “So did you like the place?” Connie was yawning as she finished her stretch but she decided to not quite end the date and continue talking.

Is your car far?” Connie asked as they walked.

“No just the next block. Why, you want me to take you home?” To your house or mine? I mean-” Fred stopped himself once he realized he was overthinking. It took Connie giggling.

“No I just want to talk and walk some more. My car was closer to the theatre.” As she looked out over the tops of buildings she was glad the sun had not set yet.

“Shouldn’t I be walking you to your car? We’re downtown you shouldn’t be alone.” At this point Connie’s giggles erupted into full laughter.

“Thank you for being so considerate Fred but it is a short walk.” She decided not to lecture him about how she knew the area, about how it was still daytime and about how she wasn’t fragile. They walked on, their shoes clicking in rhythm on the pavement.

“No problem it was my pleasure. When will we go out again?” He asked innocently. As soon as the sound left Fred’s lips Connie’s eyes narrowed. She straightened up her face while inhaling a lungful of air; deciding to be honest.

“I’m pretty busy…we’ll get together later and figure it out.” Connie noticed Fred’s excitement didn’t wane and she liked that.

“Of course. I’ll call you sometime!”

“Yes.” She exhaled slow and long as relief spilled over into her tense frame draped in business casual attire. She felt ready to leap to her car. She felt bursting with energy just beneath her neatly composed surface.

“Fred you’re sweet. We will get to know each other. I want you to take things slowly though. Alright?”

“Sure…yeah!”

Anxiety rose in Constance, as if the words she chose not to say caused her fingertips to tingle. She wanted to tell Fred that she didn’t think she could like him ‘like that’. She wanted to grab him by the shoulders, look him in the eyes and warn him not to go gaga with romantic hope. She did not do these things because she felt they would be unfair. Her opinions of Fred had barely begun to form and there was no need to overreact. Ladies do not overreact.

He reached out for an intimate goodbye calmly, slowly unfolding his arms with a slight smile. Connie felt relieved as she hugged him in a short but eager embrace. The hug felt like punctuation. They separated and she gazed at him with a slight smile and titled head.

“Have a good night!” He waved and slowly walked towards the parking lot.

“You too!” She stood still watching him until he had gotten to his car. Once he opened the door she turned and briskly walked toward her own automobile.

FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote