View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
Sobeh

A totally administered society is one of three potential alternative futures referred to in Critical Theory; the other two are a world of constant wars and military rule, and the third, the one we likely want to see occur, is the reconciled society. Reconciled, because the more than 50 antagonisms present in society now achieve some sort of closure.

Anyway, one of those antagonisms is Us vs. Them, as in anytime a group of people band together with a common identity against some perceived significant difference in others. One way this is seen is in a dichotomy between Law-Abiders and Criminals. This debate goes on and on, but in the end, each criminal is also a person, and a certain level of recognition of that is missing when people accept camera's all over the place. The thought goes Well, those are for the criminals, and since I'm not one I've nothing to fear, only the criminals do. Well, we're all people, as I mentioned - all that it takes to make you a criminal is not some ethical shadow or maladaptive social action, merely a law change. You aren't as far away from being a 'criminal' as you might think you are.

A totally administered society means you no longer have the ability to voice what you think should and should not be a law - that power is in the hands of others. Cameras everywhere are a step towards that alternative future.

My two cents.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote