View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
There's also been cases where a comatose mother needs an abortion to live, but hospital administration lets her and the fetus die rather than perform abortion. Society as a whole says that the life and health of a woman is less than the potential life of a fertilized egg. They promise women who die for that martyrdom. And most women internalize misogyny to a degree, not surprising some would die to uphold patriarchal ideals.

I don't think society puts the health and welfare of a woman over a fertlised egg. Not here in Australia so much.

It's no dying to uphold patriarchal ideals if you put your life over the life of your baby. It's fucking insane, but then that's the mothering instinct. That's why the debate is so hot and so emotional, because of the religious and instincts of the people involved.

The instinct hit me when I was in labour. The labour stalled, babybat's heart beat was disappearing with every contraction. There was talk of cords around his neck, and i was just like "I don't give a fuck about me, all I want to do is save the life of this living being inside of me." ( I'm pretty sure that feeling is much like what most people who throw themselves in the line of danger feel. They are willing to give their life to save someone else.)

Fortunately, I was in the hospital so my medical care was great.

Unfortunately not all woman have this, and that is what we should be outraged about. Woman should be given the very best healthcare for their pregnancy and labour or they should be able to have a safe abortion if that's what they chose.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote