View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #76
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x View Post
I can't speak for BP, but for myself, I can tell you that being afraid has nothing to do with it.

In fact, I think it's exactly the opposite.

Before, when I questioned the existence of God, when I questioned whether or not I was living a "Godly" life, or whether even questioning God's existence was a sin, as so many people are brainwashed into believing, I had a lot of fear. Mainly I feared that once this life was over, there would be nothing to show for it. A handful of decades and all that energy wasted for what? If God does not exist, what is the point in our own existence?

I used to fear death. Once I accepted that there is a God I don't fear death anymore. I know it will come when it's meant to come. If there is nothing else afterwards, then so be it. No harm done. Nothing I can do about it anyway. I'm at peace with it, and I can't explain what that peace feels like to someone who doesn't understand what God feels like. It's just not something that can be explained. You either feel it or you don't. If you're meant to feel it, then you will at some point.
I'm going to skip to the last page here. You invented this god simply because of all the things you listed as things that bothered you. I get it. However, your belief is personal insofar as it has nothing to do with the truth value of your claim from an empirical stance, but it has everything to do with it simply being an idea that helps you sleep at night. Your god is an idea, NOT an external agent and until you can actually deliver the empirical goods for your god, it's reasonable for me to assume as such that your god doesn't exist in any meaningful way except as an idea to comfort you in times when you find bothersome situations.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote