View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #40
Miss Absynthe

I can't do more than skim read at the moment, so I apologise if this has already been brought up..

I'm sure (or I hope that it happened, anyways..) that someone has mentioned that a person with mental illness is more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrator. And that a tiny tiny percentage of violent crime is committed by people with mental illness or disorders. And that if psychological screening before gun ownership was instituted that there would still be shootings like this - mainly because most of the time in spree killings, especially those where they perpetrators are children and teens, the perpetrators didn't own the guns that they used...

An aspect of this discussion that often gets missed is this:

Not everything that someone who has a mental illness does is BECAUSE they have a mental illness.

Not everything fucked up that someone who has a mental illness does is BECAUSE they have a mental illness.

It's like someone having an arthritic knee.. they might be limping because of the arthritis pain - but they might be limping because they pulled a hamstring playing cricket on the weekend.

I'm not going to check back with threads very often, so if you want to say something directly to me or call me back here to respond to something you've said, the best bet would be to message me.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote