View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #14
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 11

Sent : Wednesday, February 8, 2006 12:52 PM
Subject : Wednesday

Monday we went on a walking stroll of the city of Puerta de La Cruz's shopping district and beachfront. Tuesday we took a bus tour up Mt. Teide, the highest peak in Spain. Thursday we will fly over to Lanzarote to see the geothermal marvels of that island. So what did we do today? Not much.

The Restaurant Casa Pablo

Another View Of Casa Pablo

We did walk down the hill a bit to have lunch at "Casa Pablo." The grilled tuna was okay, the onion soup was disappointing (after the wonderful bowl I had at Los Gemelos the other night) but the salad, potatos and bread were good. We've had the bread (always a longish hard-roll type loaf called a "bocadillo" here) served several times with a garlic spread we both like. And again the potatos appear to have been boiled in a brine solution which makes the skin very salty. I like that too.

(The menu was in English, French and German. This is the norm in the Canary Islands, and in fact, later in the week we would see menus with up to 6 languages on them. - Ed.)

Casa Pablo menu side A

Casa Pablo menu side B

(I was so impressed with the local people's versatility with languages. It makes me think that the average American is a bit narrow minded in our openness to other languages. - Ed.)

The forecast for today was for showers and possible thunderstorms, but we didn't get much more than some fine drizzle from time to time. At one point it was sunny with no clouds overhead, and we were still getting hit by raindrops.

I took a few pictures with the digital camera down at Lago Martianez. This man-made "lake" or swimming pool is situated right on the coastliine. It is very clean and pretty, but rather than pay the 3 Euros a day to sun on cement decks and swim in chemically treated water, I think I'd frequent the black sand public beaches for free. But, as we said to each other, "It was something to look at." You can see an aerial view of it at the bottom of picture 4 from the previous post titled "A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 03" and here are a couple of pictures:

Inside Lago Martianez

It was a very overcast, on-and-off rainy day ... so you can understand all the empty deck chairs. In fact, we were a couple of the only paying fares at the time we were walking around. But at least we can say we did it, and this picture was worth it!

View Of The City And Mountain Side From Inside Lago Martianez

We came back to our room, and I sat on the balcony to read for a while. After a bit the sun came out, and then a rainbow appeared over our resort, so I took a picture. The rainbows here are incredible, with sharp, vivid colors! A lovely way to settle into the end of the day.

A Rainbow Appeared Over Our Resort

The flight tomorrow to Lanzarote leaves the southern airport after 6:00 a.m., so our bus picks us up at 3:35 ... in the morning. We have a 2:00 a.m. wake-up call scheduled, so I am going to try to go to sleep early; the operative word in that sentence being "try." Ah well, I can sleep on the bus and the plane. Should be exciting!

More later...
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote