View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #234
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Yes. Are you aware that it is possible for two people to read the same thing and have a different interpretation of what it means? That your personal experience is not the one true divine revelation?
There's no need for the snarky pants.

To characterise my posts as being solely driven from personal experience is a nice derailment. It's true that I've touched on my own experiences of having mental illness, but that has been a very minor part of my conversation.

Your contribution has been based on fear and bias and a sense of entitlement.. throwing in a wiki article doesn't make that any less so.

Quote:
All gun violence? No. Some gun violence? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad
In the same way that some people without mental illness will cause violence, it is true that some people with mental illness will cause violence.

The factor behind the violence isn't that they are mentally ill - if it were then we would rarely see people without mental illness being the perpetrators of violence.

The irony of this one appearing in a conversation about guns quite amuses me..

Quote:
Because even the NRA and the President of the United States are beginning to consider that something needs to be done. Now it's a matter of figuring out what and how.
Why do you think that they are considering something needs to be done now? Gun violence in the US is not a new thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The crime was a result of his mental processes, mental processes that were impaired by his mental illness.

This is like asking me to prove that it was actually the alcohol that caused a drunk driver to crash. Maybe the guy in the car just felt like hitting that telephone pole independently of his chemical impairment. It's silly.
Yes, it is EXACTLY like your example.. and as you've just pointed out - CORRELATION DOESN'T MEAN CAUSE.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote