View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

A Trip To Tenerife (photo intensive thread!)

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - Preface

I've created this thread to detail in text and photos my recent trip overseas from Houston, Texas to the Canary Islands. I've been asked to share the story of this trip, and I think it would be fun to do so. I also hope it inspires some who read it to put a trip to the Canary Islands on their list of goals for the future.

The Canary Islands are a tropical paradise owned by Spain and located just off of the northwestern shoreline of the African continent. I went on this journey of adventure and discovery with my Dad, who lives in Wisconsin. We met up there and caught the flight overseas from Chicago. We spent most of our time on the island of Tenerife, but did spend one memorable day on the neighboring island of Lanzarote. This thread will primarily cover the 10 days we spent there.

PLEASE RESERVE COMMENTS UNTIL I COMPLETE POSTING ALL THE ENTRIES.

This will allow me to post a coherent narrative. The posts will consist of the daily e-mail diary and picture attachments I was sending home from my cell phone each day, along with higher resolution photos I took with two digital cameras and other resources I've collected. I'm also including some information from my Dad's journal of the trip, as he is always so good at documenting information about culture and history on his trips. I will try to highlight his contributions with italics.

Also, I have tried to edit this to a managable, easily readable format. I took nearly 400 pictures of various resolutions, plus collected documentation from other sources. Triming all of this down and marrying it to a descriptive text that conveys the excitement and wonder of the trip while not making it overwhelming was my challenge.

Excuse me if I am less than objective and I edit favoring inclusion rather than exclusion, but this trip affected me in some very profound ways. After the course of the 10 days spent in these idylic islands, I felt spiritually, mentally and in particular physically healthier. It has given me much to consider as I contemplate how I live my daily life.

A Taste Of Things To Come

If you would like to just see the bullet-point highlights of the trip, I would recommend skipping to the pictures in posts #3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 24 and 26
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote