View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #4584
TrivialMorose

Look Away (from this post because of spoilers)

I was watching a movie last night, Look Away (2018)

*SPOILER ALERT EVERYWHERE*
*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

I actually still have 30 minutes of it left, but I don't need to see the ending to say what I think about it now. I'm really liking it, especially for such a seemingly run of the mill teeny-horror. First of all, it's not over the top, and it has such a sweet idea. It really makes me want a talking mirror image of my own. I'm crazy enough, so, bring it on, universe.

I also like the lead actress, because she left an impression with a really stellar performance in the miniseries I Am the Night, which is really worth watching if you haven't already.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Some scenes were really funny, like the one where Airam just stares at the best friend sternly, and the friend just bashes her head against a rock and dies. Funny.

Also at first I was like whaaat the fuck about the one scene where the hockey-boy told Maria "You're dead," or something. I was like, on what planet does this movie take place? but later I realized what it was about, and that the movie didn't spell it with big blocky letters. So, mad props for a little subtlety! Too many movies are just obnoxiously in your face.

So, if you blinked and didn't catch it,

*SPOILER ALERT*
*SPOILER ALERT*

The hockey-boy was impotent.

It was the scene where Airam felt him up, and his friends were like "Dudebro! You just got yourself some sweet poontang! You're the best!" and he got angry at them. I initially thought his reaction was slightly odd, but not impossibly so. I thought he was either just so embarrassed in the moment, or that he was angry that his sweetheart got sort of incidentally called a slut, and so he lashed out. It was plausible.

But with the "You're dead," scene, it really is obvious in retrospect, that his drive is that he's in love with Maria, but just can't get it up for her. So, he bullies when he has nothing else to give her. (Apparently not a fan of just fingerbanging)

And Airam obviously knew this, note what she whispers into his ear.

Right now I recalled the moment when she afterwards whispers something into the other boy's ear, which we weren't allowed to hear. And it dawned on me what she said. I could be wrong about this if I misrecall what the boy looked like, but what I remember of his bemused face in the scene fits. I think Airam whispers in the vein of,

"I said he can't get it up."

Another thing they didn't rub your face in, was that Maria was not a loser at all, like her parents kept repeating to her, and to the viewer. She was actually a winner, her parents just had a really high bar. She was actually both very sociable and beautiful, she was besties with the most popular girl, and had two of the most popular boys fighting over her since the beginning of the movie. People obviously aren't laughing at her, it's just her parents who have made her think that they are.

Good movie.

Hope it holds up until the end.
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote