View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Splintered

I really don't understand the point of racism. I've heard random references to "Race Wars", and how it's going to be "Black Against White", or something along those lines. I'm thinking, if I was going to fight a war, wouldn't you want as many friends on your side? Wouldn't that simply bypass the entire war altogether?

I don't get the point of identifying people by race either. I'm good with computers, so an analogy I would use, it to define users. If I was asked to define a user on my network, I wouldn't be going, "Oh, that's the guy who uses KDE, or GNOME, or etc." (They're window managers, fyi). I'd use characteristics like, "Oh, your using for User0001, she's the one who runs computer 0011." So, to say, "Oh, that's the black guy over there", makes no sense to me. There are too many black guys period, just like there are too many KDE or GNOME users. Then again, if I don't think I would be offended by it either. I mean, if someone pointed me out and said, "Oh, there's the Xfce user", I'd just smile and nod. So, that'd also apply to race, "That's the white guy over there". I'd just smile and nod too. For me, it just seems more practical not to, it saves a lot of confusion.