View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
CuckooTuli

In terms of 'winning the argument' (I hate how petty that makes it sound, when it's anything but), I'd say the main thing is to try and get him to acknowledge that in making this statement, he is basically saying that men's sexual instincts are beyond their control and that women should accommodate them rather than holding them to account when they turn violent on the back of them. However generally speaking, western society does accept mere frustration as an excuse for the kind of violent crime that wrecks innocent lives, so why is the sexual instinct of men so exceptional? Put the onus on him to explain that. I'm willing to bet he can't, beyond a vague sense of male entitlement engendered in him by a misogynistic culture, whose logic will not stand up under scrutiny.

Based on arguments I've had in a similar vein, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that unless he's an outright dickhole (in which case, you probably wouldn't call him a friend), he probably doesn't even realise that that's the pared-down subtext of what he's saying. Once you can get him to admit to this, his argument pretty much falls apart on its own.

Also, I'm sorry that you had to deal with his bullshit, knowing what you know about how wrong he is... must be hella frustrating. It sucks so hard being slapped around the face with the knowledge that even guys who aren't the 'bad guys' live in a world that tells them it's okay to throw women under the bus, in defence of nothing more than the male sex-drive.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote