View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #12
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 09

Continuing from my Dad's journal:

Mount Teide is a volcanic cone which formed on the north rim of a very large crater 170,000 years ago. It last erupted 200 years ago. The original crater covers 48 square miles and developed 500,000 years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Tuesday, February 7, 2006 7:34 AM
Subject : Mt. Teide part 2

We're on the bus tour of Mt. Teide (the heighest mountain in Spain) and we've seen a church built in 1788 and stopped at a local resturaunte for Hot Chocolate made with cognac or brandy, fresh cream and chocolate (locals call the drink "La Boomba") along with some cake.

It's a good thing we had a hot drink, because our next couple of stops have been much farther up the mountain. Dad estimates that the windchill at one stop was in the "teens" (Farenheit) . And you were jealous about the tropical paradise we are visiting. Good thing we ended up settling the debate this morning by deciding to bring a jacket.

We're near the top, and I'm attaching to this and the next e-mail a few pictures. While we are above some of the clouds, there is another layer of clouds further up the mountain. So you can see from the pictures that the peak is obscured by clouds. Other features we have been impressed by are the many surrounding hills, the volcanic formations and lava pathways.

Here are links to a couple of higher resolution pictures I took with the digital camera:

Tourists Climbing An Unusual Rock Formation

A Scenic View Of A Snow Dusted Peak

Here is a link to a panoramic photo of Mount Teidi rising up into the clouds:

Wide-View Of Teide's Peak, Disappearing Into The Clouds

Next we are stopping at a local resturaunt near the peak for lunch. I'll let you
know how that goes.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote