Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #8034
Miss Absynthe

Dearest Amanda,

I can't be with you anymore.

I listen to your earlier work and it makes me so sad. Your casual racism, transphobic tones, the slut-shaming, whorephobia and victim-blaming makes my heart weep.

I understand that you were young when you wrote those songs and said these things. I was young once too, and even now that I'm not quite young I am still clumsy and I say harmful things at times. But on the whole I try to get it right - I put effort into not hurting people.

Amanda, you don't seem to be trying.. other than to make comments a little more sneaky so that your refusal to acknowledge your own privilege isn't as noticeable to the wider public. For example, your "I'll drive this Cherokee right off this trail of tears" from The Jeep Song, became "...you're a lilly-livered giver, Indie" in Want It Back. I admit that these are clever word plays, but just because something is clever it doesn't mean that it isn't racist. And these comments are racist.

I want to love you, Amanda, but I have to go.

I am breaking up with you. I won't be coming to your concerts. I can't buy your albums anymore, and I can't listen to your music.

I'd feel compelled to tell you that it's not you - it's me. But if I'm honest about it, I have to say that isn't true - it is you.

Please don't call me.

It's over.

~ Aby
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote