View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #31
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
It's very interesting to read the posts on this thread. I'm pleased to find "Vampire Hunter D" here ~ it would be my first recommendation on any anime list. Personally, I think that Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is incredible, but I still prefer the one from the 80's (I'm guilty of nostaligia though since it was the first anime I ever saw). Bloodlust's character designs are closer to Amano Yoshitaka's, and the animation quality is astounding ~ perhaps the best I've ever seen ~ but I don't like the characters as well (except for Meyer Link; he is really wonderful). D seemed more kind-hearted in the original movie to me. Besides his unwillingness to "use" Doris, he also shows compassion to her younger brother Dan several times and even towards the Aristocrat's daughter, Lamica. He was the ultimate tragic hero in the first movie in my opinion. There are so many things that I love about that movie...

I didn't realize that there were comics based upon the D series, but I've always wanted to read Kikuchi Hideyuki's original novels. Has anyone here read them?

*By the way, another hero who refuses to "use" his woman is Kibagami Jubei from Ninja Scroll. I find this concept to be extremely romantic; I'm surprised that it's so rare in movies.
I've read the novels, they're alright, I think the problems I had with it was due to translation, seemed a bit jarring sometimes, you know? The manga is gorgeous but like I said....well, here's D and Doris meeting:

In the second one there's this one chick who always looks like she has small tits, until she's naked or just does something to indicate she's turned on. The artist makes it clear in the back of the first one that she really didn't have control over that, but its too bad.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote