Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Rorschach Twin

Dostoevsky

I'm reading The Idiot by him, right now. It's incredible.

Anybody else ever read anything?
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Methadrine

Yes, Crime and Punishment as well as The Brothers Karamazov have their place in my bookshelf.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Delkaetre

Sadly, nothing yet... I've read a little Kafka, but that was years ago. At the moment, I have no money and not enough spare time to attempt Dostoevsky. I prefer to read books in as few sittings as possible, rather than pick them up and put them down because of interruptions.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Rorschach Twin

I've always heard stuff about how incredibly difficult he is to read, but I'm really not getting that.. it's not really that hard so far. Then ago, I'm rather intelligent (not to sound cocky.) I recommend you read it when you get time though, I really don't ever want to put it down, but I have to because of school and well... my family distracts me.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
I've always heard stuff about how incredibly difficult he is to read, but I'm really not getting that.. it's not really that hard so far. Then ago, I'm rather intelligent (not to sound cocky.) I recommend you read it when you get time though, I really don't ever want to put it down, but I have to because of school and well... my family distracts me.
I should read some of his work as well, also people often say J.R.R Tolkien's The Silamarillion is incredibly difficult, where I did not find it challenging at all, interesting yes, but not challenging.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Methadrine

The difficulty with Silmarillion is the awkward job of remembering who's who with all those names and events.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Sir Canvas Corpsey

It would diffcult for me now since i haven't read it in over a year but when i was reading it I could keep almost everything straight.

So do tell, how would you explain Dostoevsky as a writer and a storyteller, a comparison to another writer if you will.

I don't like to start reading something with a false impression of the author and subsequently be disappointed.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
JCC

I've read Crime and Punishment.

Amazing.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Apathy's_Child

Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, Notes from the Underground, The Double. The dude rocks.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
It would diffcult for me now since i haven't read it in over a year but when i was reading it I could keep almost everything straight.

So do tell, how would you explain Dostoevsky as a writer and a storyteller, a comparison to another writer if you will.

I don't like to start reading something with a false impression of the author and subsequently be disappointed.
Well.. i honestly can't compare him to anything else I've ever written. Of course, it's translated from russian.. so that never helps. I thought it would be pretty difficult because of that, but it's really not that hard to grasp. "The Gambler" is rather short, so I'd recommend that as a place for you to start.

Here's a quote from him.

"Columbus died almost without seeing it [the New World]; and not really knowing what he had discovered. It's life that matters, nothing but life — the process of discovering, the everlasting and perpetual process, not the discovery itself, at all."
Old 12-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
silverbaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
I"m still on Crime and Punishment Book 2. Dostoyevsky's stuff is extremely easy to read. It's ridiculous. Most stuff written a long time ago is ridiculously hard to read. Not all. But most. Like Thomas Hardy, for example. Ick. I wish I could have said to him, "You don't have to use a college vocab word every microsecond in Tess. We get it. You're smart." But Dostoyevsky's stuff is written in plain, straight-forward English, i'd say. Or tranlated into. Whatever. It's so easy to get caught up in everything Dos. writes because his works are so deep...like on a psychological level. You don't just get to know what his characters do...you get to KNOW them, inside and out. I was reading that his writing is considered to be one of the first books that can be called a "psychological thriller". I don't know if that's true but his work is definitely in that genre.

This is all i've read from him so far. But it's a VERY good read and I highly reccommend it.

I took the warm little body in my hands, kissed the smooth face, caressed the long hair, - then strangled him and buried his body under a mountain of corpses waiting to be cremated.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

I started The Idiot, but I had to give it up before page thirty because I had to read three other books for college.
Never picked it up again.
But I don't have anything right now to read, so I'll pick it up in this moment.
I have read something by Dostoevsky, though. Ever read Notes From Underground?
It's genius! The most important work that preceded existentialism.
And this is not all: even if man really were nothing but a piano-key, even if this were proved to him by natural science and mathematics, even then he would not become reasonable, but would purposely do something perverse out of simple ingratitude, simply to gain his point. And if he does not find means he will contrive destruction and chaos, will contrive sufferings of all sorts, only to gain his point! He will launch a curse upon this world, and as only man can curse (it is his privilege, the primary distinction between him and other animals), may be by his curse alone he will attain his object - that is, convince himself that he is a man and not a piano-key! If you say that all this, too, can be calculated and tabulated - chaos and darkness and curses, so that the mere possibility of calculating it all beforehand would stop it all, and reason would reassert itself, then man would purposely go mad i order to be rid of reason and gain his point!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
Methadrine

Wow, that was brilliant. I must hunt down that one.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Rorschach Twin

I have to read that now. It's not that long, is it?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

It's a short story, you can read it in a day. I recommend you to look for an anthology on existentialism by Walter Kauffman. That's where I read it and it also contains Sartre's The Wall and Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus and Ortega's Man Has No Nature and Nietzsche's Live Dangerously and Kafka's Three Parables, et cetera. I just had to mention those stories.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Rorschach Twin

I'll look for it. I have the Gay Science translated by Kauffman.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #17
wonderland

As far as dead Russians go, I actually prefer Tolstoy. Although Dostoevsky is certainly an incredible writer, I can't seem to feel a very strong emotional connection to his works. I can read them, and be completely aware of their brilliance while I'm reading them, but can't seem to make myself really care about what's happening. I have no idea why, and I wish I could change it.
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

Roscharch, I'm wondering if you liked The Idiot. Don't tell me spoilers because I'm still only three fifths into it, but I feel I'm missing on everything. Maybe everything wraps up in the last section, but currently, I feel I should have read The Brothers Karamazov of Crime and Punishment if I wanted something good by him.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
Apathy's_Child

I read Notes from the Undeground a while back - great comment on the perversity of humanity, and a kick in the nuts for the utopianists. I think it may even be my favourite.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Shadows_Jukebox

The only thing that troubles me with his works is remembering everyones names and titles.
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah! They're been talking about Pavlovich, and for about frty pages I thought they were talking about Pavlichev. Now I still don't know who Pavlovich is, but I just go with it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
LadyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Yeah! They're been talking about Pavlovich, and for about frty pages I thought they were talking about Pavlichev. Now I still don't know who Pavlovich is, but I just go with it.

I frequently have that problem while reading translated texts. For some reason, foreign names have a tendency to sound far too familiar.

As for Dostoevsky readings, there was a section of the Brothers I read years ago, concerning a debate between one of the brothers and a priest of some sort. . . . Oh, I wish I could remember more!!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
Zavulon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Yes, Crime and Punishment as well as The Brothers Karamazov have their place in my bookshelf.
Crime and Punishment is so good. Though i havent read anything else by him.
Zavulon is offline   Reply With Quote