Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
clockworkcoffin

the all-encompassing magick thread

well this is a good time to open this thread, what with the winter solstice and yule and such things. christmas is far from being a christian holiday, and for those of us who know its true roots, it is a time of rather deeper meaning.

as a christian i do my best to let my fellows know that jesus was most definitely not born in winter.

as one who practices magick i do what i can to learn more about the way reality works.

it's all about truth. there are definite truths in the universe. and yet, there are some aspects of reality that we do not yet fully understand. and with that in mind i would like to invite all interested to an enlightened and peaceful discussion about the nature of reality, magick, and life.

(i'm a christian but even i admit that discussion of christianity all too often leads to mindless flame wars...so lets not even go there)
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Green.Lady

I'm not meaning to be offensive, but I thought that practicing magick would go against the Christian principle of believing in no other powers other than that of God...

But I'm not Christian, so maybe there's something I'm unclear about. Care to elaborate?
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
I'm not meaning to be offensive, but I thought that practicing magick would go against the Christian principle of believing in no other powers other than that of God...

But I'm not Christian, so maybe there's something I'm unclear about. Care to elaborate?
i did it as a learning experience, thanking the creator and acknowledging that all power comes from him. still...i'll probably go to hell for it.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

I'll believe in magic when one of the world's many professed magicians shows me some magic.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I'll believe in magic when one of the world's many professed magicians shows me some magic.
magick is different than magic which is illusion.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

That's what I meant. If I recall correctly the K was tacked on by Alesteir Crowley because he though it had some symbolic significance slash mystical connection to his own name.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
That's what I meant. If I recall correctly the K was tacked on by Alesteir Crowley because he though it had some symbolic significance slash mystical connection to his own name.
actually you're quite right. and while crowley was somewhat laughable in his apparent need to be evil, he is still credited with much discovery in the way of magick.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

Frankly I pogo and drink excessive amounts of Dr Pepper on Christmas. Ahhh the life of a punk. How I love it. Cheers to all the punks and goths this Christmas! *raises large bottle of Dr Pepper* *pogos*
Old 12-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
actually you're quite right. and while crowley was somewhat laughable in his apparent need to be evil, he is still credited with much discovery in the way of magick.
Just one example of a celebrity who presumably possesed great knowledge of magic(k), yet never demonstrated his power to the public in order to prove it to be real.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Breathless Horror

...pogo? As in the battered hot dogs on a stick?

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
...pogo? As in the battered hot dogs on a stick?
why thats the most intelligent thing i've read all day.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Stormtrooper of Death

No no no! Pogo is the one of the only punk "dance" moves. You stand in one spot and jump up and down. It was invented by Sid Vicious in 1976 or so when he couldn't see the Sex Pistols performing and it caught on with the punks really fast.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Breathless Horror

No call for sarcasm CWC, I'm honestly curious, as that's the sole meaning for the word "pogo" I'm aware of, and as far as I knew it wasn't a verb.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
No no no! Pogo is the one of the only punk "dance" moves. You stand in one spot and jump up and down. It was invented by Sid Vicious in 1976 or so when he couldn't see the Sex Pistols performing and it caught on with the punks really fast.
completely fucking derailed.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
gothicusmaximus

If SOD posts in your thread, it's going to end up being at least a little about punk.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Oh...okay then. Learn something new every day. Thanks SoD.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Stormtrooper of Death

Yeah, I love to pogo. I'm a big nerd when it comes to punk rock. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
clockworkcoffin

despite the potential ruination of this thread, i too enjoy pogoing
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
Stormtrooper of Death

Thats right gothicusmaximus, in some way I'll tie the two together. No problem Breathless, I'm always here for all your punk needs!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #20
clockworkcoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
I have to ask what you expected starting a thread about the supernatural? I've never seen a thread with a supernatural topic survive for long unridiculed. I've noticed that, as a general rule, most of the people here are very...skeptical of all that. And by skeptical I mean they find it laughable.
i was actually asked to start this thread. and in my opinion, people who ridicule that which they don't understand are more ignorant than those of us who believe it anyway.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #21
Breathless Horror

Quote:
No problem Breathless, I'm always here for all your punk needs!
Awesome, I have my very own personal punk guru I feel special!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #22
Breathless Horror

Quote:
i was actually asked to start this thread. and in my opinion, people who ridicule that which they don't understand are more ignorant than those of us who believe it anyway.
I don't see it as a matter of understanding or lack thereof, it's merely a question of belief. I do not believe in God, Allah, Yweh (if thats how it is spelled), Brahman, or any other superior being. I do not believe in magic, or magick. I view it with the same amusement I would hold for someone who told me that they were attacked by a 15 foot telephone pole speaking a mix of fluent arabic and french.

If I want to escape reality, I'll read a book, not try to summon other-worldly creatures, or ask for the laws of the universe to be temporarily cancelled on my behalf.

I find the belief behind religion and magick hilarious in it's arrogance. Why should humans have a "soul" and animals not? Why should humans have this power of "magick" that other creatures do not? We are glorified apes, nothing more. Not some imaginative being's favored children.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
The thing is, there's nothing to understand beyond that it's not real.
If I made up an elaborate mythos revolving around a pantheon of Troll-gods who reside in my bowels, I don't imagine you'd thoroughly study that cosmology before ridiculing the idea that the universe was governed by troll-gods who reside in my bowels.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #24
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Just one example of a celebrity who presumably possesed great knowledge of magic(k), yet never demonstrated his power to the public in order to prove it to be real.
If someone were to go onto a stage and perform magic (creating change in conformity with the will, that is), you would see nothing more than someone making movements and sounds. You cannot see magic being performed, so you cannot have your proof. And I think most practitioners of magic will agree with me when I say that there is no need for anyone to prove magic exists. We practice it, we know it's real and naysayers mean nothing.

I often wonder why skeptics think that magic creates flashes of color and money to appear out of thin air. That's what people always seem to think when they challenge magicians, yet no magician I know has claimed to be able to do such.

Magic cannot be proven nor disproven, just like God, so arguing over it is pointless.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #25
Stormtrooper of Death

Excellent, Breathless Horror, your training begins now! *cue generic training montage*