Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
clockworkcoffin

religion board please

does anyone else think there should be a section for religious discussion? just throwing the idea out there...tell me what you think.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Lapin

That's what the 'General' section is for. A religious board has no place here, and will cause nothing but senseless arguing and stupidity. We really don't need any more of that.

Also, please find your Shift key and your punctuation keys. There's this mark called a 'comma'. You have apparently never seen it.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Xombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
Also, please find your Shift key and your punctuation keys. There's this mark called a 'comma'. You have apparently never seen it.
Come on, your being mean about it is uncalled for. Some people just don't feel it absolutely necessary to use perfect grammar all the time.

I don't think there should be an entire section devoted to religion, but I think it could be acceptable in the General section.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
clockworkcoffin

ah, thanks for the heads up about that general section...i didn't realise. i would disagree, however, because i don't see how religion causes any more controversy than politics.

your sarcasm is uneccesary as i will not respond to it in the manner you desire. i do not use capital letters for a good reason, that being the nature of my job. and as you can see i have seen commas. please learn some manners and perhaps people won't think you're an asshole as i now do.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Lapin

Xombie, perhaps you are unclear of what the subheading of this website is: Bone Chilling Literary Culture

Literary implies people who are for the most part well-read and are willing to take the time to use proper grammer. If English is not your first language, that is understandable, but laziness is not. It takes but a moment to capitalize a word.

By the way, nice pink. My hair was that color once.

EDIT: So...the nature of your job is to look like you slept through English?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
clockworkcoffin

i am not lazy, i am simply doing what it is in my best interests to do.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Lapin

...Uh-huh.

You do that. I'm going to do what's in my best interest and pretend you don't exist so that I don't fantasize about stabbing your posts with a red pen.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Mon Coeur Noir

Oh hell, why not have a religion board? What's it gonna kill? Besides, I don't care to read most of the religion posts anyhow, so if they were all put together on ONE board, then I could just avoid that one spot. Plus, to some people their religion is not "general," it's what they base their life on.

Lapin says that having a religion board will cause senseless arguing. However, look at what happened here. Senseless arguing. It doesn't matter what the name or topic of the board is. There will ALWAYS be someone who wants to pick a fight. I say, just go with it.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
clockworkcoffin

you make a damn good point noir. much as i hate to admit it, the subject of religion (/grammar) did turn into an argument.

the thing is, i don't think anyone would have a problem if a religion forum focused strictly on paganism or wicca or such things. i think people's main problem is with christianity which is really unfair. i'm a christian but i have practiced and learned a a lot from wicca and neo-paganism.

i just think if people used it to learn about religion instead of argue about religion it would be an interesting board to post on and read.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Mon Coeur Noir

Christianity has been given as bad of a rep as Paganisim has. Some people won't be happy until everyone has nothing left to believe in, I think.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
clockworkcoffin

yeah...i don't care what religion people are, i'm not gonna discriminate. my roommate is a pagan and we get along famously.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
ArielDevaki

religion lables people, I swear.
"If youre a christian, then youre a hyprocrital good-goody, and youre going to heaven. If youre a satanist, then you just wanna fuck the world over, and go and fuck yourself after that."

I myself am catholic, but I am open to other religions, other beliefs. Afterall, religion has always been the theory on how we got here, how we exist, how we will live, and where we will go when we will die, and mainly, how to guide us in life.
ArielDevaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
dark_dragon_of_ice

We will do it when we get a science board...ok?
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
Corpsey

And an art board.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 AM   #15
Wormboy

Agreed with above two posters. I would also like to add a small thing to the religious debate. Some people don't hate others because of their religion, they hate the religion because of it's dogma. Ariel, you are a catholic correct? Here's what I mean. You seem like a nice person, you really do. Your religion says that we should kill gay people, and your lord and savior requires his followers to hate their family and themselves in order to worship him. (Luke 14:26) I detest your religion, but I'm sure you're quite the charming young woman. People can like a Catholic and hate Catholicism. Christianity doesn't leave much room to accept other faiths. As I recall, there's a passage somewhere about either killing or denying the existence of atheists. Religion isn't exactly the most tolerant system of beliefs...

That being said, I have to agree, a religious section should only come when we get the art and sciene section.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
dark_dragon_of_ice

I just don't like the lack logic..But I guess the board would be cool If we could argue in it..
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #17
clockworkcoffin

heh, science would indeed be awesome. i'd get to rant about theories etc.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

rant about theories in what way?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #19
jestercel85

I personally would have to agree with an above poster that said at least we could ignore all the religious posts. I am an atheist, well technically a Satanist, and I have absolutely no respect for any of the faith based religions of this world.

I respect the people who follow them but the religions themselves deserve no respect whatsoever. I find them senseless, devoid of even rudimentary logic, and harmful to human life. But that is simply my opinion.

The board would only devolve into so much ongoing argument and probably be harmful to the boards but hey that isn't for me to decide.

OOH and yes can we have a science board if we get the religion board??? Please??? I would absolutely love a science section, if I could get past chemistry I was actually looking to go for an astrophysics degree.

And as to the above argument on grammar I have to agree with the first reply, either use grammar properly or don't post, simple as that. If English is your first language and you are intelligent enough to find this website then surely you can figure out the rules of grammar. As someone pointed out this is a literary board and as such most of us are well read and try to use grammar, spelling, and punctuation, to the best of our abilities, we are not being unfair to expect the same.
jestercel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
Lapin

(Smiles serenely at JesterCel)

I think I like you.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #21
KontanKarite

Honestly, you guys are making a big deal about very little. So he doesn't use his shift key... Big whoop. He's explained several times as to why he doesn't do it. Why should he form a habit that would deter him from his quality of work just to have to unlearn it again when he goes back to the grind?

Some good ideas being shared here are presented poorly, but they're still good ideas.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
clockworkcoffin

thanks kontankarite. and in response to dark dragon, i have a lot of theories about physics and the nature of reality, quantum dynamics, rotational mechanics, spacial dimensions, space-time, and much more. i'd like a place to share said theories and see what other people think about them.

to jester and lapin: if the absense of completely perfect grammar vexes you so greatly, perhaps you should seek counseling. an obsession of that magnitude should not go uncared-for.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #23
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
thanks kontankarite. and in response to dark dragon, i have a lot of theories about physics and the nature of reality, quantum dynamics, rotational mechanics, spacial dimensions, space-time, and much more. i'd like a place to share said theories and see what other people think about them.
I look forward to reading them.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #24
clockworkcoffin

cool. i always love sharing a theory.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
Xombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
to jester and lapin: if the absense of completely perfect grammar vexes you so greatly, perhaps you should seek counseling. an obsession of that magnitude should not go uncared-for.
Hahah. Cute.

I do agree that if we get a religion board, that kind of opens doors for science and art boards. I think an art section would be great, or even combining literature and art, since literature IS an art form.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote