Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #76
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent bastard View Post
Lame threads.
Oh.
Oh, I get it!
Because you're saying that in this thread, thereby implying that MY thread is lame.
That was just...well that's just cleverness.
You can't buy that sort of cleverness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
I'd +rep you for this if I could. But I am not going Ophie on this.
Yeah, better not. I don't think you could handle the attention, admiration, and fear you'd get from others if you "went Ophie."
It's best you stick to just being you, and keep yourself away from having to deal with the hassles of being so awesome as me.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #77
Pyre

I don't know, I think I could handle some awesome in my life. Odin knows there's not enough of it already.

Jillian: I was away from Gnet for two years, and as soon as you mentioned having a fear you didn't want to discuss I knew immediately what you were talking about. E.T. phobias are pretty memorable.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #78
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
I don't know, I think I could handle some awesome in my life. Odin knows there's not enough of it already.

Jillian: I was away from Gnet for two years, and as soon as you mentioned having a fear you didn't want to discuss I knew immediately what you were talking about. E.T. phobias are pretty memorable.
Some is one thing.
I am quite another.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #79
Pyre

I could have a little Ophelia in my life. But, I don't know if the world's ready for that yet. Besides, my penis envy is too great as is: any more and I'd have to get a sex change.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #80
honeythorn

I can add my name to the fear of deep water list. I'd love to dive on a reef or a wreck and look at all the species, but the thought of something bursting out of a nook or cranny, especially on a shipwreck would cause me to have a heart attack, or zoom for the surface hell for leather and end up getting the bends and being paralysed or something.

It's the visibility that gets me. Or the lack of it. You can only see a few feet and then.....nothing. Just deep fuzz. Until a shape looms out of it and it's on you before you can shift an inch. Even if I knew for a fact it was something fairly harmless like a dolphin or a shool of fish, I'd still shit myself. I have difficulty watching certain part of Finding Nemo. Very tragic I know, but "The Dropoff " is horrible, as is the anglerfish moment.

Yet strangely enough I LOVE the film " The Abyss " absolutely love it doesn't bother me at all.

It's odd but there you go.

Another worst fear of mine is CENTIPEDES. The thought of waking up with a centipede near or on me,is so gut turningly chilling to me...argh fuck I've gone cold all over ! >.< One of the very few creatures in the world that make me squeal like a little girl and run away.

I guess no one should get Jillian one of those talking moving ET toys then ?

My friend had one of those. It's finger lit up and it said "ouch" and it's neck extended up and down. It was quite creepy actually. I can see why ET would be quite alarming. In the movie when he extends his head upwards and makes that hideous scream and scuttles away when scared...yeah, I can kind of see how that could frighten someone as a child..
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #81
zebra

I just remembered another--suits of armor. They freak me out for unexplainable reasons.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #82
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonquisha Brown
Not me. It's safety glass.
Fuck yeah! That's what gets to me whenever I walk around Wellington. There's a huge amount of safety glass learning out into the street all the time and I keep thinking to myself: "Well, if some big ass earthquake decides to bump chins with Wellington, we're fucked. Screaming cut to ribbons glass showers of death."

Then I whistle to myself "Always look on the bright side of life" from The Life of Brian.

Honeythorne:

While I admit that I too have a slight fear of deep waters, I'd go to extreme lengths to get over it if you are serious about reef diving. It's one of the sweetest experiences I've ever had. Both of my parents are experienced divers and both have encountered Sharks on wreaks/reefs and claim "You go one way, they go the opposite way".

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #83
gothicusmaximus

Jillian is terrified of E.T. because the two things he most despises are embodied therein. The movie is a formulaic blockbuster, riddled with product placement, disguised as an earnest sentiment, which naturally arouses Jillian's disgust with insidious capitalism. Moreover, the title character is a Christ figure, who works miracles, gathers followers, and eventually rises from death after falling victim to wicked, callous scientists, this narrative one whose implications would offend any staunch atheist. What truly magnifies Jillian's fear to such a titanic scale, however, is that he is, on some level, drawn in spite of himself to empathize with E.T., as they share the quintessential experience of an immigrant living in America.
Just give me a Psychology doctorate and be done with it.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #84
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
While I admit that I too have a slight fear of deep waters, I'd go to extreme lengths to get over it if you are serious about reef diving. It's one of the sweetest experiences I've ever had. Both of my parents are experienced divers and both have encountered Sharks on wreaks/reefs and claim "You go one way, they go the opposite way".
I used to have a fear of deep water, and after scuba diving for seven years I've pretty much overcome it BECAUSE of diving. It still makes me a little nervous falling backwards into dark water but the resulting experience is so worth it! The only scary thing that ever happened to me on a dive involved strong currents and fire coral, that's it.

I'd recommend scuba diving to anyone with a fear of the ocean. It just replaces any scary images of it with ones of an amazing and totally unthreatening landscape (well... seascape. Minus the fire coral. And those damned triggerfish).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #85
CrimsonPythonidae

My fear is cockroaches, I really hate them. I do realise they won't hurt me and it's entirely rediculous. I don't know what it is about them, I honestly have no issues like this with any other creatures. I haven't told too many people I know because I risk them thinking it's funny to throw them at me etc, which probably is hilarious for everyone witnessing it. I've always been afraid of them although these days I have to get ovet it a bit, having to work with them you see. I get that horrible shiver down my spine and I just try not to think about them too much but it's not easy when faced with them almost everyday. I have toughened up a fair bit since I began my job though, it's completely worth the torture.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #86
DRM

Faces without eyes.
I have no idea why though.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #87
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonPythonidae View Post
My fear is cockroaches, I really hate them. I do realise they won't hurt me and it's entirely rediculous..
My neighbours are the skankiest bastards out, and I had to call the pest control people out because their house was infested with roaches, to the point they were coming into my house. And those fuckers breed like wild fire and are hard as hell to get rid of. It took threats and a court order in the end to have them forced to clear and clean their house, and have enough bait put down to sort the problem. It isnt ridiculous to fear them, they make my skin crawl now that I've had to get info on them. Just dont stand on any.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #88
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Jillian is terrified of E.T. because the two things he most despises are embodied therein. The movie is a formulaic blockbuster, riddled with product placement, disguised as an earnest sentiment, which naturally arouses Jillian's disgust with insidious capitalism. Moreover, the title character is a Christ figure, who works miracles, gathers followers, and eventually rises from death after falling victim to wicked, callous scientists, this narrative one whose implications would offend any staunch atheist. What truly magnifies Jillian's fear to such a titanic scale, however, is that he is, on some level, drawn in spite of himself to empathize with E.T., as they share the quintessential experience of an immigrant living in America.
Just give me a Psychology doctorate and be done with it.
Wow, that answers my question! I thought it was appearance or some such, but your explanation makes sense too.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #89
-Falloe-

I dont have just one. Here are my top 3 though.

-TERRORISTS. They BLOW themselves up. Who isnt afraid of them.
-Death by torture on video tape.
-Drowning. Dont get me wrong. I can swim, its just the `knowing that youre dying` thing.
-Falloe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #90
-Falloe-

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I just remembered another--suits of armor. They freak me out for unexplainable reasons.
I dont get the suits of armor thing. When I was little I used to be afraid of Darth Vader. I dont know if that helps you in any way, even though Im sure it doesnt.
-Falloe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #91
Pyre

I am not bothered or terrified by E.T. because of the movie. In fact, I rather enjoyed the film as a child. However, I had the experience of having a babysitter who brought an E.T. doll from her home and warned me that if I did anything wrong it would kill me. That scarred me for life.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #92
Desdemona

I was ridiculously claustrophobic when visiting the Wawel Cathedral in Krakow, Poland.
We went to go and see the Zygmunt Bell in the cathedral, which is up some very narrow, high steps.
I;ve never been claustrophobic in my life, but I got to the top and didn't want to come back down and thus had a panic attack which resulted in using a whole inhaler and crying for most of the rest of the day.

Other than that, I have one, highly irrational fear of Bananas.

Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #93
Seidre

I have an intense, irrational fear of being pregnant. Like, not the actual giving birth just the pregnancy itself.

I'm also afraid, to a lesser degree, of deep water (mostly when I can't see what's around me). I've almost died four times in the water, so that one actually has a reason behind it. I also won't go scuba diving. Something about wearing that much heavy equipment in such deep water is horrifyingly restrictive. I wouldn't feel safe.

Falling scares me too. I love heights. I'll climb up anything. But I won't go skydiving or bungee jumping. I've only recently discovered how awesome rollercoasters can be.

And then there's my fear of abandonment. I could explain that one, but it'd involve a lot of typing that I doubt anyone would care to read.
Seidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #94
odinsXson

*Shakes head* As lame as this is going to sound. Horses scare the day light out of me. Drownding is a more rational fear of mine. Last but not least the alien from Mac and Me.
odinsXson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #95
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
My main problem is thinking something's going to come up beneath me.
I think it very possibely started with that part in Half Life where you have to fight a giant alien fish with a crossbow while you're in a small cage.
I just stood on the walkway and fired grenades at the water 'till it died...
HAHAHA!! Ditto! I couldn't bring myself to go into the water to kill it, so I waited on the dock thingy until I could see it near the surface and shot at it until it was gone. The rest of the game wasn't scary but that damn fish thing freaked me out.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #96
blackwater1110

Jillian:

Despite my desire to make light of your fear, and the many ideas that have come to me for doing so, I respect you too much to go through with it anyway. Though I have to admit I find it pretty damn funny.

Since fair is fair, I suppose I must share a recently-developed fear I can't seem to get over: Bears.

Bears are fast as hell, can climb up trees, can break cars open, can probably knock down doors, are unstoppable unless you have a really big gun, and are ferocious, evil killing machines. I couldn't watch the movie about the bear guy because someone told me what happens at the end. The thought of being devoured alive by a creature I've no chance against is terrifying. If it was a Jaguar or something, I'd still hate getting eaten by it, but at least if I had a knife or a spear or something I would have a chance to fuck it up before it got me. With bears, I could stab it, and it would just make it madder. And after I was in its belly the would would heal and the bear would be good as new. *shivers*
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #97
Beneath the Shadows

Butt-loads of yellowjackets.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #98
Tismine

I'm terrified that I won't be able to protect the people I love when they need me.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #99
RozzVanian

Growing up. Just the whole adulthood thing. I'm terrified. I don't think I can function on my own as an adult. Teenage years are hard enough.
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #100
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I can add my name to the fear of deep water list. I'd love to dive on a reef or a wreck and look at all the species, but the thought of something bursting out of a nook or cranny, especially on a shipwreck would cause me to have a heart attack, or zoom for the surface hell for leather and end up getting the bends and being paralysed or something.
I can definitely relate to this. I even detest looking at dark, underwater photographs- my imagination can get me places. I probably owe this all to an overdose of Jaws movies when I was a child.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote