Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritia Mayer View Post
I strongly support high cigarette taxes, at least here in Canada where we have public health care. All that extra tax money I shell out whenever I buy a pack means more money for the hospitals that are going to treat me when I get lung cancer in 40 years. What's the downside?
I share this opinion, although I am not a smoker.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
Onyx

I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the taxes went for the shit they were supposed to go for. Paying health care costs for smokers? Smokers die younger, saving money on Social Security and end of life care. Though, if you live in a country with a decent health care system I could see the point behind this. In the US we have to pay for our own health care. Taxing me for my "health care costs" and then forcing me to pay for my health care on top of it is like a kick in the nuts with no chance of getting laid out of the deal. Also, how about funneling some of that tax money into helping people quit smoking. I spent $20 on the co-pay for a doctor's visit then $130 for a prescription of Chantix, insurance didn't cover it, just to find out the crap was going to make me so sick I had to quit taking it. Then again, if the tax money went to help people quit smoking, they'd have to raise the revenue elsewhere and wouldn't have a hated minority to get it from.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #28
Mauritia Mayer

I don't think it's the government's responsibility to help you quit smoking or pay for your quit smoking pills. I chose to smoke; I'm willing to accept responsibility for any consequences it might have.

And, hey, since it IS a choice...you can always stop buying cigarettes and stop paying the taxes.
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
it is like a kick in the nuts with no chance of getting laid out of the deal.
What kind of fucked up deals are you running?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #30
Onyx

It may not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritia Mayer View Post
I don't think it's the government's responsibility to help you quit smoking or pay for your quit smoking pills. I chose to smoke; I'm willing to accept responsibility for any consequences it might have.

And, hey, since it IS a choice...you can always stop buying cigarettes and stop paying the taxes.
It may not be the government's rightful responsibility, however, the government made the choice to stick its nose in to discourage smoking. How many times have the taxes on smokes been raised with the excuse of keeping people from smoking and encouraging people to quit as at least part of the reasoning behind the tax increase? By their reasoning they should be using some of that revenue to assist people in quiting.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #31
Onyx

re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
What kind of fucked up deals are you running?
Started using that phrase after a misunderstanding one night got me kneed in the nuts and then getting laid. Me and a buddy went out after work one night. As we get up to the bar I decide I'm going to get the first round. I was talking to my friend when I asked what he was drinking and the lady next to me thought I was trying to pick up on her and she kneed me in the nuts. After realising that I wasn't asking her if she wanted a drink she felt real bad and we started talking. At the end of the night I ended up going home with her. At work the night night my friend was joking around about me getting kicked in the nuts and I said "Hey, at least I got laid out of the deal." Now I use the phrase for a bad situation that I at least end up getting something out of.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Catch

They haven't made any special program that only smokers can use. After they won it became a generic tax to pay to public education.