Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #526
FenrisQueen

Well, i watched both the believer and CAMP today, so I'll talk about both of them.
The believer is about a jewish Skinhead, it's a very interesting movie, though I had to cover my eyes at some of the scenes.
CAMP is about well, arts camp. It's actually a very funny movie.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #527
Cordialwelcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
So many things to say!

Cordialwelcome: What an ironic screen name for a newb. heehee- but yeah- I *LOVE* Ginger Snaps! Granny won't watch it- she's so icky she doesn't even suck cock. B is better, though- Ginger's okay. Have you seen two and three? B is better.

Al: At least it wasn't a puppy!
Ahh yes, the name. Its been my screen name for a long time. Here's the story, if you're interested:
My last horse (I JUST sold her) was a thoroughbred and her registered name is Cordialwelcome. When we bought her several years ago I made it my screen name and I haven't changed it since.
Cordialwelcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #528
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLoserM.D.
Scotland, PA
So you rented this again or did you accidently bring the one from here back with you? [Hey, I'm lazy, I don't want to look for it.]
I rented it again. And then the DVD was scratched so we went back and got it on VHS. I went though *SO* much for this movie- I traveled the United States, and I went back to my local video source *twice*. What I do for a little classic Shakespeare...

Cordial: Cool.

On the topic: Punch Drunk Love. I really liked the images in it, the camera angles and just the design of how the scenes were set up. The plot wasn't awesome, but it was worth the four dollars it costs to rent movies these days.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #529
winged_dreams

My friend was supposed to get me Punch Drunk Love for Christmas but he's in Japan right now. The last movie I watched was Secret Window. I liked the movie but I probably liked it so much because it had Johnny Depp in it. I'm just a little obsessed with that man!! *drools*

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #530
edible_eye

secret window was a fairly decent adaptation of a short story by stephen king. it was a good movie, regardless of the johnny depp factor, although he played a good part.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #531
Vega`

Watched "Caravan of Courage," which some of you may remember as one of the two Ewok Adventure movies that emerged from the wake of Star Wars' box office success. Early 80s. Not animated. I remember seeing this back when it first came out, but about the only thing I carried out of this film after having just seen it now is how to fight Ewok-style. That is, if anyone ever drops a small log on your foot, you turn around and run after the dipshit who dropped it on you, who will be on the ground for only reasons the editor would know, tackle him, and slug him good in the spine.

Actually, this movie wasn't nearly anywhere as bad as it's sequel. That would be "The Battle For Endor," which starts looking more like "Lord of the Rings" than the third-rate Star Wars spin-off it actually is. Witches and magic and troll warriors and all this silly shit. Neither film is spectacular (Deeeerhh), but "Caravan of Courage" is at least worthy of showing to a very early generation/your kids. Has a decent message about believing in yourself and whatnot and it's mildly entertaining. Second film has nothing to offer. They kill off the girl's entire family (the most influential characters are given a ho hum death) in the first five minutes, never really come to a resolve over that, and deliver no real message throughout the course of the film.

If you've seen these films before, it's pretty cool to see them again and slap your knee and say "Oh yeah, I remember that!" Typically these were films you've probably only seen once (if at all), so 20 years later it's kind of interesting to see them again in a new light.
Vega` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #532
AlKilyu

Ewoks! e_e loves Ewoks!
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #533
edible_eye

heh. vile creatures.

how the fuck did he come up with that as an inspiration for a warrior race?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #534
AlKilyu

EDIT: Sorry e_e!

^_^
Old 01-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #535
ice

I think anything short of the real Ewoks are crap... I mean... when I was in first grade we'd play Star Wars and there'd be Ewoks... and bla. Real Ewoks are fuckin' kickass.

8)

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #536
edible_eye

alkilyu -

braveheart defines life for me... well, that and spider man. somehow, you've managed to defile both meanings of life i hold dear to my heart, in less than a month.

ouch, man. really.

and howard dean? that hick-freak-wish-he-was-a-tough-guy?

ouch.

quick note: i can't claim credit for this pic.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #537
AlKilyu

I am sorry e_e. I can't help it, the man is a fountain of creativity for me.

I made this

but the one you made/found is much better.
(that cat's face is really doing that in the original pic of it!)
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #538
edible_eye

heh. good one. your creative skills are unparalelled.

i found mine. as i said, i couldn't take credit.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #539
TeapotScar

Heathers, but that is *OBVIOUSLY* the best movie *EVER*. It needs to be watched at least three times. The color of their outfits, the shots, the filming, the directing... sheer brilliance.

The Village

I was completely un-surprised by the ending. The *ending* ending- the part that was supposed to be really surprising, I had just *assumed* from clues given in the movie. The forshadowing was *way* too strong. However, the amazing artistic ability of the director kind of makes up for it. Also, the acting was phenomenal. Except for that one crap speech about love. All speeches about love are crap.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 AM   #540
Nike

...watched some of my Werner Herzog dvds again...

ohh, I love Kinski...

"If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees, the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the Wrath of God! The earth I walk upon sees me and quakes!"

eh, and Dune, the old one....always liked the soundtrack so much.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #541
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
Heathers, but that is *OBVIOUSLY* the best movie *EVER*. It needs to be watched at least three times. The color of their outfits, the shots, the filming, the directing... sheer brilliance.

The Village

I was completely un-surprised by the ending. The *ending* ending- the part that was supposed to be really surprising, I had just *assumed* from clues given in the movie. The forshadowing was *way* too strong. However, the amazing artistic ability of the director kind of makes up for it. Also, the acting was phenomenal. Except for that one crap speech about love. All speeches about love are crap.

My favorite part of Heathers is at the funeral where the nerds crack wise to the jocks and they get one in a head lock. He tells him to say he loves sucking dick, then forces him to say it like he means it. THEN, when the nerd is "saying it like he means it" complete with the "mmm", that's the funniest part of that movie to me.

I caught on to the ending of The Village early on too. I didn't want to see it but went on a date. My date was scared and stupid. I was bored and stupid. I have to say that the "special" character reminded me of Arnie from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" in that I just wanted to beat the piss outta him constantly.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #542
FenrisQueen

A series of unfortunate events
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #543
rosaf

The Village
Pretty disapointing
rosaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #544
Granny-like_the_apple

The last half hour or so of Animal House. It's weird, because I totally would've sworn that I've watched it and hated it, but nothing was familiar and I liked it.

Oh, and is The Village the one where [um, possible spoiler alert? not that anyone cares, or should care, since it's obviously such a crap movie] it's just scaaaary old people in the woods? Remember when we were talking about that one crap movie in Blockbuster, S?

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #545
tiffany_the_writer

movies

Animal House!!!! Cam and I LOVE that movie!! And I LOVE Tom Hulce too. I rented it from Blockbuster when my grandma was baby sitting us. Tee hee heeeee it's so easy to get away with stuff when grandmas are baby sitting. That's also really weird because I was just thinking I should go rent another movie he was in... maybe it's a sign! tee hee.

The last movie I watched was "A fistful of Dollars". Yay Clint Eastwood!!!
tiffany_the_writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #546
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
My favorite part of Heathers is at the funeral where the nerds crack wise to the jocks and they get one in a head lock. He tells him to say he loves sucking dick, then forces him to say it like he means it. THEN, when the nerd is "saying it like he means it" complete with the "mmm", that's the funniest part of that movie to me.
Haha- yeah I love that part. Especially because you can see the angel carrying the cross, directly behind Ram and the nerd. And you forget! He says "mmm- I can't get enough of it." Ha. Great movie.

And Granny- yeah, that's the one. It sucked as much as that kid said it would.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #547
AlKilyu

EPS, will you puleeeeez put this movie on Manimal's Netflix?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #548
Loy

Why have you guys not seen it yet?

Movies I've seen recently-well, since I got this thing called a "girl friend", I've been training her in the ways of Loyness. Here's a short list-

The "Thief In The Night" series (a cycle of 4 films....imagine the "Left Behind" series if it were made in Iowa during the mid-70s with a budget of $20. However, there's no Kirk Cameron)

"Ghost World" (she looks like Enid, and got sick of everybody calling her that without her knowing who the fuck Enid was)

King Of The Hill (first 2 seasons)

The Red Balloon

Taxi Driver

Raging Bull

Taste Of Cherry

Godstuff (Joe Bob Briggs best of Religious TV)

Story Of Ricki-Oh

Strange Brew

The "Up" series

Napoleon Dynamite

Zombie (Fulci)

The Isle

Azumi

Close-Up (Kiarostami)

Blow-Up

Flirting With Disaster

Paris, Texas

Le Samourai/The Killer/Ghost Dog

All That Heaven Allows/Ali-Fear Eats The Soul/Far From Heaven

Bringing Up Baby

Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Once Upon A Time In The West

Down By Law

Welcome To The Dollhouse

Rushmore

Flower Of My Secret

Come And See

Dr. Strangelove

My Voyage To Italy (Scorcese's documentary on italian neorealism)

Chinatown

New Gladiators

Warriors Of The Wasteland

Manos-The Hands Of Fate

Shock Corridor

Rebel Without A Cause

I'm sure I missed a few, but that's off the top of my head.

Don't ask about the reading list I gave her.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #549
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
well, since I got this thing called a "girl friend"
That's great man! Happy to hear it. I will drive up and meet her once I get a newer car. I have a shitload of dough burning a hole in my pocket and no idea what kind of car to get.

Quote:
King Of The Hill (first 2 seasons)

The Red Balloon (!!!)

Taxi Driver

Raging Bull

Godstuff (Joe Bob Briggs best of Religious TV)

Story Of Ricki-Oh (!!!)

Strange Brew

Zombie (Fulci) (!!!)

Azumi (!!!)

Le Samourai/The Killer/Ghost Dog

All That Heaven Allows/Ali-Fear Eats The Soul/Far From Heaven

Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (!!!)

Once Upon A Time In The West (!!!) (no GBU?)

Manos-The Hands Of Fate

Rebel Without A Cause
Fucking beautiful.

Did you ever by chance ask JW if a soundtrack to ABT2 exsists and where I could get it??
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #550
Loy

Since he doesn't own any of the actual rights to the soundtrack, or what to do with it, it would be pointless to ask him. However, I'm sure some company overseas has released it (a lot of times with film soundtracks, the ones that don't get released stateside gets a european release since there's a bigger market over there for movie memorabilia).

And "GBU" is next week....tonight, it's "Suspiria" and "Tokyo Story" (she didn't like horror films until I showed her "Cure"....then again, she didn't like guys until me, so there you go).