Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #551
Outside_Existance

I tend to wear black because the color is soothing and less hectic. When i see bright colors it sometimes hurts my eyes or makes my mind work speradicially.
Outside_Existance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 AM   #552
x3blackenedx3

i like black and wear it because well it's me and i am not going to be wearing something else and pretending to be someone or something i am not i am dark and like the mysterious feel and look of wearing black simple as that and i dont find anything wrong with me or how i am
x3blackenedx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 AM   #553
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I just like black. If I want to wear black I'm gonna wear it. I like black. It feels right to me. Don't ask me to explain how it feels right, it just does.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #554
Mikhailia

I could ahve picked "expressing emotion" but that is sort of the exact opposite... but the exact same at the same time... I always connected colour to emotion, red was angry, blue was sad, you know... typical things... but around third grade...

I didn't really think much of black... They told us it was a mixture of all colours.... -when not pertaining to light or sciency things... just on the colour wheel- So I thought, Then it would be either all emotion, or none... Since then I have worn black because then I feel like no one can get into my mind... And then I add colours that match to my new perspective on the emotional colours thing. I was sort of an outsider adn people liked to play tricks on me. I felt liberated from their ability to tell how I feel by what colours I wear. I know most people see it as a depressed colour, but I can't bring myself to wear anything else... it just makes me feel secure in my own mind. I can be myself in it... and it feels like it is a part of my life, that contributes to me living it happily.

There are other reasons, black is beautiful, elegant. It makes interesting shadows, since it is a dark shade itself... I think it is so beautiful.

Black will always be there you need light for everything else.. it is something that will never disappear.

It weeds out people that judge by sight... I don't like people like that... If a person is willing to approach me when I look like a stereotype that has a bad name, and be civil, they diserve my respect. It keeps people away that are too shallow... or that want to touch me a lot... I hate being touched... it makes me sick. Iwill stop now... I have many reasons.

I was completely socially inept. So I didn't know at the time how everyone felt about certian colours... until around 7th grade when I met one nice, half prep half goth girl... She is really interesting. She taught me a lot.
Mikhailia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #555
chaos3

read the lyrics to "man in black" by johnny cash
chaos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #556
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailia
It weeds out people that judge by sight... I don't like people like that... If a person is willing to approach me when I look like a stereotype that has a bad name, and be civil, they diserve my respect. It keeps people away that are too shallow...
"Only shallow people don't judge by appearances" - Oscar Wilde

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #557
Mr_Knuckles

I agree w/ chaos3 and Mr. Cash.

Johnny Cash- Man In Black Lyrics

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.
Mr_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #558
EbonLore

I chose other.

I think goths wear black because they want to, thats why I do it. To this day, Ive never seen anyone look bad in black. Black has a varaiety of symbolic uses too: Its the color of shadows, allowing one to hide and slink into them. In kabalistic meanings, black represents absorption, communion with the dead, secrets, and the end of a cycle, but also the beginning of a new cycle. Black is also synonomous with power, intrigue, negative emotions and energies, and the yin princible. Yin(in a yin yang) represents decay, things being hidden, winter, cold, and night. It also implies passivity in contrast to the active yang(white).

Any number of these thing may explain my obsession with this color, but mostly i wear black because i enjoy doing so, and the sight of it is pleasing to my sensitive eyes.
EbonLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #559
She_Is_My_Sin

I wear black because it makes me look slimmer
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #560
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korellyn
When I wear black and look in the mirror, it looks right. I don't really know how else to describe it. It's like somewhere in the back of my head I have this image of what I'm supposed to look like, but I don't know it and have to discover it by trial and error as I go.
I thought I was the only one. But, I wear black because I look good in it and it feels right. But, I am open to other colors, I wear green and black, red and black, purple and black, etc... but that's mainly in socks...
Old 08-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #561
The_JoKeReSs

Yeah, different Goths wear black for different reasons.

When i first became attracted to wearing black clothing. (When i was around 7-8 years old.) It was because i used to like hiding in the dark and scaring people. (I was a very bored child and didn't get out much.) Then it became a huge urge to wear it because nobody else wore it. Now i wear it because its suits me, i find it comfortable, not too bright, which makes me feel sick and it suits the surroundings i hang out in.

Now there are so many posers! Its hard to tell why people dress like they do. Its bloody well horrible! Argh! Why do people pose??????
The_JoKeReSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #562
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Well said Mikhalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailia

There are other reasons, black is beautiful, elegant. It makes interesting shadows, since it is a dark shade itself... I think it is so beautiful.

Black will always be there you need light for everything else.. it is something that will never disappear.
Exactly how i feel, and why i like to wear it. I work in the optics and photonics field. Black is the starting point, before the medium of light is applied to the "canvas". It is clean, unblemished, the beginning. Intense laser light looks amazing because it is in contrast to the black background in testing.

As fas as "other" colors go (black is not really a color, but the absence of color), i like dark purple, because it is the color closest to black in terms of human vision.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #563
Haunted House

I wear black because all of the clothes I like seem to come in that color. Also because it's what I like. I personally think that anyone who tries to give a psudo 'deep' answer to this question is just searching for attention.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #564
BlackWidow

Black makes you look skinnier. Plus, when I wear other colors I feel like I wanna rip my clothes off and run around screaming until I find something black or something that fits me and my personality. It's just better.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #565
darkness-creepshow

When i where black i do get a sence of protection...like its the only thing that feals right....hmmm and why would you where somthing to attract attention ? well to purposly to
darkness-creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #566
Haunted House

The wearing of the black is not to attract attention. The 'trying to be deep' answer to the question is to attract attention.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #567
roserougesang

Why is this thread still up anyway? Black is a colour...a shade actually...people wear it...that's all there is to it mostly.

*steps off soapbox*
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #568
Delkaetre

I wear black because it matches things easily... I don't have to think about colour co-ordination. And it makes me look slimmer and paler.
And it suits me!
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #569
pvt num 11

It's a good non-color. Either it's the absence of all light, or the inclusion of all pigments, thus absorbing all light and not scattering any particular color. That's why it doesn't do anything under UV light but expose all the lint, fuzz and dandruff (grrr...) that's on it. Stealthy. I like sitting back and observing, and black tends to not attract attention (unless, of course, it's a late-model Trans Am with mile-deep highly waxed black paint, but that just exudes coolness and a certain predatory feel just the same). I'm also find of dark sturated colors, dark blues and greens, but that's not all my wardrobe consists of. I'd wear it more often, but my all-black selections are limited. But I like the slimming effect it has, as I'm a tad pudgy in the midsection.
pvt num 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #570
transformingfate

other b/c:

It's the perfect color. Black goes with everything, and nothing, quite well.
transformingfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #571
roserougesang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I wear black because it matches things easily... I don't have to think about colour co-ordination. And it makes me look slimmer and paler.
And it suits me!
Actually, you would have to worry about co-ordination because there are many different shades of black. Co-ordinating black with black is a lot harder than it seems
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:55 AM   #572
dark_dragon_of_ice

I wear black because black absorbs light radiation so therefore if i wear black i contain more natural energy then someone wearing white or any other color.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #573
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
Actually, you would have to worry about co-ordination because there are many different shades of black. Co-ordinating black with black is a lot harder than it seems
Indeed I hate it if my pants and shirts are not the same shade of black. This is annoying.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 AM   #574
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Meh, fucking n00bs. Except for Julia Gaeltic and Blushing Heliophobe, only noobs said in the poll "that's how we feel inside".

Again, this question is easy.

This is the ultimate truth about why do goths wear black:

I like black, and everyone wants to be me.
Rofl Indeed. =D
Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #575
someone.to.blame?

I wear black, because its how I feel inside.
I dont feel need to show emotion to people, wearing yellow says "i'm happy" wearing black says nothing.
and anyway, I like wearing black, it suits me.
someone.to.blame? is offline   Reply With Quote