Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #51
Falken

I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, spy novels, history...

I believe though that the most boring crap I ever read was any of Piers Anthony's Xanth books after the initial 3. After I read the 5th book 'Ogre Ogre', I felt like he was just churning them out to pay his house note. He hacked out about 29 Xanth novels in all I think.
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #52
endemonidia

The Da Vinci Code is bad, yes ... but it's acceptably bad. I read it, thought it was boring, and didn't think about it any more. What really annoys me is that when I go into chain bookshops, I'm presented with the A-Z By Author section, the Crime Novel section, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section and the Da Vinci Code section.

What I really hate is the last five books of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The series starts off as 'good to meh', and when reading it you think it will all be finished by book 5. He's currently writing number 12. Here's the plot of the later books in full:

RAND is in KINGDOM A with HOT GIRLFRIEND #1
FORIEGN INVADER I tries to invade. RAND repells it with *insert new mystical power*
Meanwhile, MAT travels to KINGDOM B with his army.
PERRIN chases after HIS WIFE (who was kidnapped by FORIEGN INVADER II) a bit more.
HOT GIRLRIEND #2 travels to a mystical realm, and gets trapped.
RAND rescues her, and by some coincidence bumps into both MAT and PERRIN, armies in tow.
There is much celebration till the DARK LORD ruins it all.

That's it.
endemonidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #53
LadyTsepish

I remember reading some pretty horrible books in junior high, including, but not limited to: I Am the Cheese, and A Day No Pigs Would Die. I really can't figure out why we were forced to read these awful books. I also dislike Beloved by Toni Morrison.
LadyTsepish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #54
cradle

Any brochure by PETA is pretty bad reading, but as far as books go, it would have to be Harry Potter...ugh.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #55
Beowulf

Instruction manuals that make no sense at all !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #56
maggot

I'm probably gonna be brutally assaulted for this, but I would have to say my least favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird.

I'm sorry, but it's one of the most boring, jaggedly written books I've ever had the displeasure of having shoved down my throat. There are even multiple things written in it that she does nothing to expand upon! What happened to Dill proposing to Scout?!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #57
cradle

The movie isn't too bad though.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #58
maggot

I found it right dreadful. Only because the actor who played Atticus was annoying, though. REALLY annoying.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #59
cradle

I liked some scenes in the movie, like near the end when the kids got attacked...though i wouldn't watch the movie again unless I was extremely bored.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #60
Crying_Crimson_Tears

"Nothing But The Truth" by Avi. I was forced to read that during English class this year. Bored me to tears. I also hated 'Who Moved My Cheese?" by some random doctor author. It was so, so boring and nothing to do with anything. It should have been directed towards little kids the way it was written but it was directed towards adults. Ug, I hated it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #61
insertwittyname

The Deed of Paksonarrion. Its 1068 pages. First 600- her friends died, her friends died, her friends died. OMG her friends died. oh no! her friends died while she and her friends were scouting! oh no! her friends died! she finds help. they save her last remaining friend! but, oh no! her other friends died! ok, she's with some friends, she gets captured, and must kill her friends! she kills them! her friends save her. but now she's a coward and can't save her friends! her friends die! she's not a coward anymore due to her friend's help! her friends died! See why I haven't finished the book?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #62
insertwittyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
I'm probably gonna be brutally assaulted for this, but I would have to say my least favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird.

I'm sorry, but it's one of the most boring, jaggedly written books I've ever had the displeasure of having shoved down my throat. There are even multiple things written in it that she does nothing to expand upon! What happened to Dill proposing to Scout?!

book wasn't the worst, but it wasn't good. over half the time i wanted scout to beat the shit out of everyone.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #63
unedifying

Out of this Furnace was wretched. Most of my summer reading requiremtns for this year were, too; Cyrano de Bergerac, The Bride Price, Gulliver's Travels.. but I loved, loved LVOED The Picture of Dorian Gray! My new favorite book.
unedifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #64
BlackButterfly

Um... right now? The current version of Don Quixote I am trying to read. It's a lovely old book (with that great "old book" smell which I so love); I don't know if it's a bad translation or what, but so far it has been excruciatingly boring!
I might just wind up giving up on it and starting "The Church of Dead Girls"...

Oh yeah maggot, To Kill a Mockingbird was indeed painful (freshman Literature)... gah, memories... ::twitches::
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130

Last edited by BlackButterfly; 09-09-2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Ack!! Punctuation! Spelling!
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #65
Godslayer Jillian

Just like the Qur'an, Don Quixote loses all its beauty if it's translated.
If you don't read it in spanish, you might just as well not read it.
Contrarywise, if you want to read it, learn Spanish, and all your study will be worth it just to read the book.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #66
BlackButterfly

That's the best idea that I have ever kicked myself for for not having thought of myself!

(Geez, and I can read in Spanish too!) Looks like I have some shopping to do...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #67
ViciouslyBeautiful

[quote=Godslayer Jillian]Just like the Qur'an, Don Quixote loses all its beauty if it's translated.QUOTE]

What, Jill, you've ever read Qur'an in Arabic??

But yeah I do think it's the best to read a lit in its original language.
ViciouslyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #68
She_Is_My_Sin

I can't remember the name of it...but there was this book about some girl & her friend moved away, then when they met again, her friend was a total bitch. My nan got it for me as a present... Oh & Sun Horse Moon Horse is absolutely pants. We had to read it at school & it was about some idea that a guy made the horse on White Horse Hill to let his people go. Well me & my friend just used to draw in the books rather than read it. I didn't really understand the final scene, but I think he runs off naked with a knife. O_O Well those were the only two words I paid attention to, so what do you expect?
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #69
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
I didn't really understand the final scene, but I think he runs off naked with a knife. O_O
HAHAHA XD.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #70
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciouslyBeautiful
What, Jill, you've ever read Qur'an in Arabic??
Nah, but it's popular knowledge among people who have read it that its beauty only comes in its language.
This is actually one of my goals in life: learn Arabic just to read it. I'm hoping I'll be able to take classes in college.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #71
She_Is_My_Sin

Ooh I just remembered one. 'Dead Before Dawn' (can't remember the author). It's about some psychic barmaid, who meets a vampire & he's the only person who's thoughts she can't read. It's basically a book for idiots as it isn't very deep at all, the main character is someone you will hate instantly & the vampires are just sort of...well, rubbish. The only parts that you can enjoy are when her grandma dies & the sex scenes. Actually the sex scenes are a bit naff, but probably the most exciting parts of this sorry excuse for a book. Oh yeah & there's some guy who morphs into a dog. I never really understood why that was in it though.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote