Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #51
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
So now this is a "who's beliefs is better than the other" your pathetic.
What you're doing is "whose ethics are better than the other" as you're deriding him for his conduct in debating the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE, the single most important issue of all.
How are you any better?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #52
Cruel Intentions

I appear, by means of my post, to have opened a rather large can of worms. For that I am sorry. Hopefully we will not have a flame war.

Kontan, firstly, at what point did I insult you and all I'm asking is that while you may think our ideas are "stupid", could you have put it a little more politely? Conflict is necessary, agression is not and tends to get, well.... this.

Onyx, I'm starting to agree with Alan here. You're not holding the moral high ground here.
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #53
KontanKarite

Exactly. I will admit, I do need to work on my delivery when it comes to asking questions and challenging people for their bad ideas. In short, I have to work on my tact. But Alan said it a bit better.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #54
OnyxBat

Hold it right there, he didn't even say anything that's related to the post! He just insulted people because he disagrees. I did not say anything about who ethic is better than the others, I just said what I think and defended it he on the other hand said his belief is better than the others. (and I stilldont know about his beliefs)
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #55
Cruel Intentions

And I realise that the theory I present is increbibly pretentious, as subesequently I suspect was my own delivery. However, I apologise in that I was unclear as to whether it was a belief I actually hold. It is not. But I like the idea although I do concede that it is highly likely BS and I need to explain myself better in future.

Truce?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
Alan

Quote:
Hold it right there, he didn't even say anything that's related to the post! He just insulted people because he disagrees.
He doesn't insult you JUST because he disagrees He insults you because your opinion is stupid.
You're changing his intentions.
real classy
Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #57
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions View Post

Kontan, firstly, at what point did I insult you and all I'm asking is that while you may think our ideas are "stupid", could you have put it a little more politely? Conflict is necessary, agression is not and tends to get, well.... this.

Dude, your ideas aren't that great because there's a million and one people out there with different ideas. You know what's so damned spooky about that? How are you so sure that you are right? You said that you support the idea that is backed up by the most evidence and is the least disprovable. So my question to you is this. WHY entertain the occult or any other metaphysical belief structure? How is personal experience and what you feel in your head and heart to be cosmically more important supposed to be enough evidence to say that what you believe is entirely true? Truth isn't confined to a belief structure or some cosmic spiritual code. Those ideas are at best, a system of coping mechanisms to make one feel better about their lot and their existence. Why does existing need to have some kind of higher purpose?

I bet you'd say that the divinity of Jesus is questionable but somehow, reincarnation is a BETTER idea? Can't you see how both of those ideas are inherently silly?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #58
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Hold it right there, he didn't even say anything that's related to the post! He just insulted people because he disagrees. I did not say anything about who ethic is better than the others, I just said what I think and defended it he on the other hand said his belief is better than the others. (and I stilldont know about his beliefs)
He doesn't have to give his reasons for disagreeing, although he can if he wants. He simply does, that's his opinion and that's what the issue is. Like he admitted, his delivery of his disagreement might need some work but that's it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #59
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Dude, your ideas aren't that great because there's a million and one people out there with different ideas. You know what's so damned spooky about that? How are you so sure that you are right? You said that you support the idea that is backed up by the most evidence and is the least disprovable. So my question to you is this. WHY entertain the occult or any other metaphysical belief structure? How is personal experience and what you feel in your head and heart to be cosmically more important supposed to be enough evidence to say that what you believe is entirely true? Truth isn't confined to a belief structure or some cosmic spiritual code. Those ideas are at best, a system of coping mechanisms to make one feel better about their lot and their existence. Why does existing need to have some kind of higher purpose?

I bet you'd say that the divinity of Jesus is questionable but somehow, reincarnation is a BETTER idea? Can't you see how both of those ideas are inherently silly?
I actually agree with you entirely.
As I've said, I was just putting the idea out there. It's not a belief I hold.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #60
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He doesn't insult you JUST because he disagrees He insults you because your opinion is stupid.
You're changing his intentions.
Can you at least get a bit more creative on your insults and anyways you called me a lonley cunt that should not be insulted. If he insults me because my opinion is stupid then that means he disagrees but not on why I said just the idea of it. So either way he disagrees.
I misread his intentions because he's not straight with it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #61
OnyxBat

Crule , I do agree he has to work on his disagreements because they make him look even more like a idiot.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #62
KontanKarite

This is my idea:

There are a million theories and ideas, most of them metaphysical, that explains our existence. The problem with that is, it is more likely that they are ALL wrong. I take a more negative approach to explaining it, not pessimistic, mind you, but negative. As in, it's probably more likely that there is no reason except that we just happened to be. Of course, in that kind of view of existence, all theories claiming a positive in any way has the burden of proof that they must justify it and what I've seen so far, each positive belief has been nothing more than just a coping mechanism to help individuals confront their own mortality and minuscule existence by making them feel more important than the layman. There's nothing wrong with being cosmically unimportant and there's nothing wrong with a lack of a supernatural. So far, the evidence shown consistently proves that this idea is most likely the case.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #63
KontanKarite

Quote:
Crule , I do agree he has to work on his disagreements because they make him look even more like a idiot.
By the way, you're a stupid fucking cunt. This in no way related to the discussion at hand, but I do have a question for you. How long do you think my bad karma will come to kick me in the ass for just feeling like being a dick to you right now?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #64
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
This is my idea:

There are a million theories and ideas, most of them metaphysical, that explains our existence. The problem with that is, it is more likely that they are ALL wrong. I take a more negative approach to explaining it, not pessimistic, mind you, but negative. As in, it's probably more likely that there is no reason except that we just happened to be. Of course, in that kind of view of existence, all theories claiming a positive in any way has the burden of proof that they must justify it and what I've seen so far, each positive belief has been nothing more than just a coping mechanism to help individuals confront their own mortality and minuscule existence by making them feel more important than the layman. There's nothing wrong with being cosmically unimportant and there's nothing wrong with a lack of a supernatural. So far, the evidence shown consistently has proven that this idea is most likely the case.
Well put. And I agree entirely. I suspect that the reason I like the theory I mentioned before so much is that it allows a coping mechanism free of culturally imposed limitations. Whether I feel I need that coping mechanism or not is not your place to judge. To be honest... I'm not sure if I do or not.

But otherwise, yeah. That's fine with me.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #65
OnyxBat

I don't know, maybe when your old you might fall down the stairs or drown in you bath tub.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #66
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
I don't know, maybe when your old you might fall down the stairs or drown in you bath tub.
Sorry Onyx but seriously...

off topic, take it to rants or whining.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #67
OnyxBat

He asked me a question and I answered it, I am not a fan on talking about people.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #68
KontanKarite

Quote:
Jesus Christ. Where is your evidence that what you claim is true? I bet that I wont pay for it. You're a dumbass kid that's probably going to grow up believing that you're somehow important to some grand design, wallowing in mediocrity while I'm the type of guy who can take what he has, make more of it, AND find a REAL happiness in it. The difference between you and I is that I don't NEED some invisible sky man or some other alternative spiritual positive to make my life meaningful.

Honestly, the only reason you're reacting like a child is because I'm threatening your world view. Well too bad. Grow up, kid.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #69
OnyxBat

When are people going to learn, look you started it and I am just defending my self like anyother person, wouldn't you do the same?
You don't even know me how can you conclude on my beliefs in my life.
Your not threating my views your just insulting them.
(Nice knowing that bit of info about you)
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #70
Alan

Quote:
You don't even know me how can you conclude on my beliefs in my life.
Because.... you stated them! And he's answering to the beliefs you stated.

Seriously, you got nothing here; stop trying to defend yourself.
real classy
Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #71
OnyxBat

Alan, I was talking about what he said about me growing up thinking that I will be important.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #72
Despanan

Quote:
Ya know,

That sounds suspiciously like wishing someone dead just because they were mean to you on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #73
ssj_goku

You guuys haev it all wrong
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #74
OnyxBat

Don't stick your head up your ass to far Des, he asked and I answered.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #75
Alan

And you answered by saying that karma will kill him for being mean to you.
I've already called you a self-centered bitch, right?
real classy