Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #51
RozzVanian

I'm Italian, and when I reveal this to people they often use a stereotypical Italian accent and ask me if I like pasta or if my dad is a good cook. (He must be, right? Because he's Italian...)

The thing is, all that is true. I love pasta and bread, I use my hands alot when I talk (another stereotype), and my dad is an excellent cook.
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #52
Underwater Ophelia

What's your point?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #53
ZyklonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzVanian View Post
I'm Italian, and when I reveal this to people they often use a stereotypical Italian accent and ask me if I like pasta or if my dad is a good cook. (He must be, right? Because he's Italian...)

The thing is, all that is true. I love pasta and bread, I use my hands alot when I talk (another stereotype), and my dad is an excellent cook.
Funny thing is I'm Mexican/indigenous with a little bit of french blood mixed in and that applies to me as well. I should be Fucking I-Talian.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #54
RozzVanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
What's your point?
That sometimes stereotypes are true.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #55
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzVanian View Post
That sometimes stereotypes are true.
Well, duh, but that doesn't really give them any significance.
Since there are members of ALL groups who gesticulate, like pasta, and have dads who cook well, it's not surprising that some Italian people fit those criteria.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #56
RozzVanian

Quote:
Well, duh, but that doesn't really give them any significance.
Since there are members of ALL groups who gesticulate, like pasta, and have dads who cook well, it's not surprising that some Italian people fit those criteria.
Well, yeah. That's basically what I meant. Sometimes the stereotypes associated with a certain race or background fit those individuals, whether by coincidence or as a common trait or tradition in that particular culture. It's whether or not we choose to take these associations to offence...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #57
korinna5555

I get where Pyre is coming from.
If I'm having a bad day, I tend to obsess over how people see me, because of my poor self-esteem. Stereotypes antagonize poor self-esteem. Vicious cycle..
I've gotten a lot better about it all, but it's not always easy for me.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #58
HavelockV

RozzVanian, while I do think that most people employ stereotypes to some extent in their view of the world, whether intentionally or unintentionally, and that many stereotypes can be associated with a certain number of the represented group, I do not think that all stereotypes can be dismissed out of hand as something that group memebers can choose not to take offense to.

For example, I find it difficult to believe that most Catholics could opt to not be offended by the stereotype that all Catholic priests are homosexual child molesters. While this has proven to be true for a number of Catholic priests, it is not true for all members of that vocation; not by a longshot.

Even in the case of stereotypes that could be perceived as favorable towards a group, there are situations where such views can do more harm than good even for individuals in that group (see my last post at the bottom of the second page of this thread).
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
Xenophile

It's how you stereotype yourself. It's about not buying into other peoples bullshit. Are you ashamed of who you are? Is that why you hide your stuff? Don't be. You owe them nothing.
Xenophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #60
odinsXson

When people see my hammer pendant or rune tats they think im some kind of nazi. I am not. When I tell them my beliefs or when they see me and my beard they think im a want to be viking. When people see the sleeves they think im some kind of drug nut biker want to be. When I walk past people they tend to move across the hall. I guess they see me as intimidating, truth be known, im kind and very respectful. Have no intrest in illegal drugs let alone perscribed drugs. I have no want to be in any kind of gang, biker or otherwise. People think im some kind of degenerate bum, when in a reality I have held my respectable job longer then they have held any job. Eh old people and closed minds got to love them.
odinsXson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #61
RozzVanian

I am proud of my heritage. I find the stereotypes funny. It's when it comes down to "All mexicans do this..." and "All black people like this..." when it sort of takes a turn down Racist Street.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #62
korinna5555

I'm Native American and Irish.
You would not BELIEVE how many alcohol-related comments I get..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #63
Saya

I'm Newfie. I get stereotyped by other Newfies, "but you DONT like clubbing baby seals?!".
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #64
maggot

oXs, you sound like a Nazi-biker-viking druglord to me D:<
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #65
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I'm Native American and Irish.
You would not BELIEVE how many alcohol-related comments I get..
I would.
I'm Lenni-Lenape. People also call me an injun, red savage, and ask if I've ever been in a teepee.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #66
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
The Garbage CD completes my collection and I have all their CDs now but I made sure to buy them all used because I don't want to give my money to a mallgoth band
Since when were Garbage a mallgoth band?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #67
Porcelain

Who cares.

I'm too lazy to lump myself into a specific category.
Porcelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #68
Underwater Ophelia

Yeah...Garbage is absolutely not a mallgoth band.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #69
Malice In Wonderland

Aren't they like post grunge?
Anyway, I'll let you guys get back on topic...

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #70
korinna5555

Quote:
I would.
I'm Lenni-Lenape. People also call me an injun, red savage, and ask if I've ever been in a teepee.
I feel ya..

I also get the "but you're so pale!" >_<
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #71
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Since when were Garbage a mallgoth band?
Shirley Manson is a self-proclaimed cutter who dresses in all black and every song is about how fucked up her life is--and she appeals to 12 year old girls who think they can identify with her. That's mallgoth in my books.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #72
Mir

Isn't identifying someone who dresses in black, and cuts herself as mall goth, stereotypical in itself?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #73
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Shirley Manson is a self-proclaimed cutter who dresses in all black and every song is about how fucked up her life is--and she appeals to 12 year old girls who think they can identify with her. That's mallgoth in my books.
She's not like HEY I'M A CUTTER.
It's more like, yeah, I've had some problems.

No, she doesn't dress in all black, and no, not every song is about her life at all, let alone how fucked up it is.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #74
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Dude...
No.
What Ophie said.
And she doesn't claim to be goth...
At all.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #75
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
So you expect us to be sympathetic when you get shifty and fearful of your bat cred when someone gets curious about where you got/why you wear your spooky accessories but you think you should go unquestioned in stereotyping other races?

Oh and 600th post, yatches.
What makes you think I am looking for sympathy? I was questioned why I care, and I gave honest answers. I was looking for no sympathy, I was exemplifying a type of stereotype threat I personally felt. And besides, I never said I stereotype other races, I just have preferences that typically come from nonstereotypical reasons. The only time I make stereotypical references to other races is when I am making a tasteless joke, although I do not believe the stereotypes they're based upon. When I said "Asians and Indians excel in math" I was not speaking of a personal belief, but rather a common belief: I personally know Asians who are only mediocre when it comes to subjects like math and science, and I give it no thought.

Ophelia: The point I intended to make was that the stereotype is not intentionally negative, not that it's a good thing. Obviously no stereotype is good because it oversimplifies a group of people, but it doesn't always possess intentions of being bad.

Havelock: I understand the strain put on Asians. The suicide rate for Asian countries is significantly higher than in other places because of the strain and expectations of the youth to excel in such areas, particularly in China. I was once exposed to the rumor that a student impaled himself upon a pen/pencil because he didn't achieve the grade he desired in a class.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote