Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #51
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
^ Rumour is that Taratino does want to make a third one, but it'll be years from now because it'll focus on B.B. and Vernita Green's daugher.
I heard that too, but he want's to use the same little girls who played bb and Vernita's Daughter. So that won't happen until another 8 years or so.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #52
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
Donnie Darko. What a mindscrew. Or mindfuck, whichever term you prefer.
Not even the actors knew what the hell that ending was supposed to mean. It's a great movie, but couldn't it have made at least a little more sense?
There is a very clear narrative if you think and search for the answers.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #53
a morbid curiosity

The end of Donnie Darko is the best part.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #54
Saya

Oh, what about Passion Of The Christ or Titanic? Was way too predictable.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #55
a morbid curiosity

Oh, just remembered, I didn't like the end of The Dark Knight at all.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #56
AshtrayKitten

The Mist's ending was awful. The Perfect Storm would be #2.
AshtrayKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #57
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Oh, just remembered, I didn't like the end of The Dark Knight at all.
What part? I didn't like the whole "Lets blame it on me that way the Joker doesn't win!" But didn't the Joker kinda win anyway since Batman broke his one rule by killing Harvey Dent?

@Ashtray, The Mist was great, ending was pretty shocking and really upset people, and what other purpose is there for horror? And The Perfect Storm was a true story, they really did all die.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #58
AshtrayKitten

^
I thought it was cheap. A father killing his own child to spare him from being eaten is something that can be attached to any horror film and has nothing going for it but the shock factor.

The Perfect Storm was a personal letdown. They could have spared me the entire struggle and just showed the ending. It felt like a waste of time.
AshtrayKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #59
Fastidious

Donnie Darko is definitely a bittersweet ending...just cryptic enough to piss one off while being cleverly, devilishly mysterious enough to appreciate the art of it all....

And yeah, The Happening scores major points as well....*twitch*
Fastidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #60
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Judge Dredd: Yes. This movie is fucking awful. However, if Judge Dredd just tackled the fucking Dystopian oppression in Mega City why would he drive off claiming to uphold it? The last nail in the coffin of this cinematic disaster.
Yeh it is awful. But wasn't Dredd's aim to remove the corrupt people in the Judge system and then go back to upholding that system? Which is exactly what he did.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #61
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
What part? I didn't like the whole "Lets blame it on me that way the Joker doesn't win!" But didn't the Joker kinda win anyway since Batman broke his one rule by killing Harvey Dent?
I know they were trying to shroud the Batman in mystery by portraying him as a flawed hero but he was the worst thing about the movie. Next to Heath Ledger's Joker, he was mind-numbingly dull. So the fact that the last couple of lines were like, 'We have to chase him because he's the Batman and he's a villain" seems out of place because for the whole movie, he is sickeningly self-righteous. Hah.
Seems like the movie sort of fizzled out on an anti-climax.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #62
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
I know they were trying to shroud the Batman in mystery by portraying him as a flawed hero but he was the worst thing about the movie. Next to Heath Ledger's Joker, he was mind-numbingly dull. So the fact that the last couple of lines were like, 'We have to chase him because he's the Batman and he's a villain" seems out of place because for the whole movie, he is sickeningly self-righteous. Hah.
Seems like the movie sort of fizzled out on an anti-climax.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I didn't like Bale's Batman (Keaton was the only Batman on film I ever liked, really), he was dull as you said, flat and boring.

But he broke his one rule ^_^ victory for Joker! Actually, I was wondering why he didn't act more remorseful about it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #63
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I didn't like Bale's Batman (Keaton was the only Batman on film I ever liked, really), he was dull as you said, flat and boring.

But he broke his one rule ^_^ victory for Joker! Actually, I was wondering why he didn't act more remorseful about it.
He didn't have time to be remorseful.
The sequel, maybe.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #64
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
Hannibal, a great film, but I don't understand how he got away without using the boat or the road swarming with cops. Also what happened to Clarice, she was just stood there? :s
Yeah, how did hannibal get away? On the airplane at the end, you can't see his hand, could he have reatached it later? There was still time to get to a hospital and get it fixed. Acording to the book, he changed his face, so perhaps the staff at the hospital didn't recognise him.
I know it's a movie, but it's fun to talk about what if's.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #65
Zakyath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nancy
The Butterfly Effect.
I was getting so frustrated watching whatshisname trying to make everything better and hoping he would end up living happily ever after with Kailey, then he changes it so he will never end up with Kailey or be a part of her life.
I think the Butterfly Effect has like the best ending ever.

I usually hate endings. Unless it leaves me in great emotions as if everyone dies (happiness) or the loveable main character dies (sadness)
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #66
fennis2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixy_dust View Post
Stepford Wives and Picnic At Hanging Rock fails.
Both were mystery type films but neither had resolved endings. What is the point?
Really? All the beauty and mystery of Hanging Rock would have been lost if the director had dumbed it down and explained the ending to the audience as if we were morons.

And the Stepford ending was pretty straight-forward... not sure what else they could have added to that. She died, became a robot. The bad guys won. That's pretty much a "resolved ending".
fennis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #67
fennis2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
There is a very clear narrative if you think and search for the answers.
Normally, I'd agree with you about thinking it through and coming up with your own conclusions... but Donnie Darko wasn't really smart enough to pull off it's existential ambitions. The extended cut was even worse. Some good scenes in there, though... but it leaves you dissatisfied and kind of empty.
fennis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #68
Xombie

I didn't like the end of Zombieland. I was hoping that they would all be eaten.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #69
SweetJane

The Strangers had a really lame end... but also a really lame middle and beginning. It should have just been called "Rich white people are stupid and practically kill themselves." Also, the end was sequal-y.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #70
Apathy's_Child

I hated that the fact that they cut the ending of A Clockwork Orange, although I thought the movie was otherwise awesome.

The last fifteen minutes or so of Slumdog Millionnaire were also fucking abysmal.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #71
Still Jack

I think I wrote this already but I don't care. Fight Club. The end shot was such a fucking cop out. It was kind of half a sequel-y ending and half a they all died ending. It was like a half hearted "going out in a blaze of glory" ending.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #72
Pineapple_Juice

9 had a shitty ending.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #73
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
I think I wrote this already but I don't care. Fight Club. The end shot was such a fucking cop out. It was kind of half a sequel-y ending and half a they all died ending. It was like a half hearted "going out in a blaze of glory" ending.
Yeah, that sucked. The whole point of the movie seemed to be about the consequences of sheer hedonism divorced from any productive attempt to confront reality or alter the state that gave rise to his anger, then it ended with a fuckin' firework show and some cute hand-holding. It should have nded with the men in white coats busting in and body-slamming him or something.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #74
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Yeah, that sucked. The whole point of the movie seemed to be about the consequences of sheer hedonism divorced from any productive attempt to confront reality or alter the state that gave rise to his anger, then it ended with a fuckin' firework show and some cute hand-holding. It should have nded with the men in white coats busting in and body-slamming him or something.
Nah man, that's not what it was about. I hate analysing the film because I understand it but it's not really that great of a film and Chuck Palahnuik's book sucks so I don't like getting in-depth, but whatever, you are wrong and where there are wrong ideas I must purge. Tyler is the manifestation of Jack's frustration at his inadequacy; he is a glorified Ubermensch that takes Jack's most basic 'admirable' qualities and ramps them up to become a hedonistic masculine playboy and a leader of others. As the film progresses, Jack becomes more and more influenced by this caricature of masculinity and power and these attempts to live up to his wild flights of fancy lead to an instability in himself and the environment around him that he affects. At various points Jack begins to understand the danger that there is in trying to follow his Superman, Tyler, and becomes more comfortable with the way that he is, his flawed identity. When he destroys Tyler and can live with the way that he is, the explosions show the crumbling of the society that forced him to his acts of madness, and he's left with his lover because she can accept him for who he is, rather than her being with Tyler, the idealized playboy. It's nothing to do with cute hand-holding and shit.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #75
Apathy's_Child

Okay, that makes sense when you put it that way. I was kind of thinking about something Palahniuk said about how he couldn't understand why people found the book immoral because it was actually about a guy who gave in to his id and then had to go around trying to undo all the damage when he woke up from his revenge fantasy. But I guess it doesn't pay to give too much weight to the words of the guy who spawns these shitty novels.

That said, ending aside, I actually thought FC was a pretty decent movie. Way better than the book (though I'm aware that's not exactly lavish praise, given that Palahnuk sucks).