Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #951
Jane13

Fenris- Go see it! Go see it! It's mostly atually about a trial, but the freaky parts are genuinly freaky ^.^ Just bring someone who doens't mind being clung to (that's what I did)

EPS- I am SO glad to be back. The surgery went fine and I'm about two inches taller because they straitened me out I missed you guys so much!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #952
punkirony

Hi Jane! Yay! One of my favorites are back. I recently came back also. But only AlKilyu and TeapotScar were excited. Crap.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #953
soggypicklemuncher

I remember Battle Royale. I think I still have a pirated DivX of it on my computer that won't start. I actually read the first volume of the manga before seeing the film but I'm too broke to buy much manga, heh.

There's some really fucked up stuff made by Japanese directors...The Guinea Pig series, especially Flower of Flesh and Blood; Audition - actually a few things directed by Takashi Miike. You really have to have a strong stomach to watch Audition.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #954
Granny-like_the_apple

Scarface. To be more precise, the first 15 minutes of Scarface. I got bored.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #955
pitseleh

Kung-Fu Hustle, for the second time. Holy fuck, what a funny movie. Very aesthetically pleasing, too. I have a tendency to get tears in my eyes from beautifully executed fight scenes in movies, and this is one of those.

Tonight, I'm watching Suicide Club.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:14 AM   #956
Demonista_Ravenesque

saw this movie called Ong Bak...a beautifully filmed movie about Thai Boxing, goddammit, it's the most awesome movie I've ever seen.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #957
Loy

More films I've seen recently....oh and Al, the film is "The Beyond" by Lucio Fulci. You almost threw me off there (the music was done by Fabio Frizzi, not Goblin)

"Hostage"-I wish I could've been at the pitch meeting for this one-"OK, so imagine a film that combines 'Die Hard' with 'Home Alone', and it start Bruce Willis!!!!". Oh my god, this film is so utterly stupid that it becomes genius. From cliched action scenes to action heros pretending to "act" (think Stallone in "Cop Land", except more wooden) to the "child speak" every adult in Hollywood films engage in whenever speaking to a child under the age of 14, what we've got here is a big dumb explosions film that I can't recommend highly enough. Wow.

"The Candy Snatchers"-an exploitation classic from the 70's that hasn't been available to the general public (Subversive Cinema will be releasing it soon). A girl gets kidnapped by the three dumbest kidnappers in the history of cinema. Flip-flopping from the gall-bladder blistering crappiness to the disturbingly fucked up with nary a care in the world (especially for continuity), "Candy Snatchers" is fascinating from the get go, and would make a perfect double feature with "They Call Her One Eye" or "I Spit On Your Grave". I'm also sure "The Candy Snatchers" is the only american film where a r a p e victim after the attack, is consoled by another man who tried to r a p e her earlier, or where a 4 year old boy accidentaly shoots himself dead.

"Hamburger Dad (Extended)"-"Hamburger Dad" was this amazing 15 minute shot on video masterpiece by Seattle comedy duo Scarecrow and Mr. Voigt (imagine a more cynical Kids In The Hall) about a man who becomes a hamburger (hence the title). "Hamburger Dad (Extended)" is a different take on this subject....well, not really. But it's a bit longer, and this means there's funnier scenes (when Hamburger Dad and his son drive to his girlfriends place, and find out that her dad is now Lobster Dad......or the line from HD's boss- "I'm gonna have to let you go" "Go? You mean go to lunch, right?" "Yeah, yeah, to lunch. Andwhen you return, you can clear your desk out, too". Or the couple leaving the theatre- "that movie was stupid and made no sense. HEY! Let's go home and bask in the mind-cleaning goodness of 'Friends'! I think tonight' when Ross and Rachel kiss!". The awesomeness of "Hamburger Dad" cannot be put into words.

"Palindromes"-As much as I admire Todd solondz, I have to admit, his films are a tough call. On one hand, you can't deny his intelligence, his wit, or his talent. On the other hand, his films have a way of fucking with your perceptions in such a way that you start begging for a ray of hope. "Palindromes" twists the audience even more so than he has before. The film begins with an ending-specifically, the death of Dawn Weiner (the main character of "Welcome To The Dollhouse"). However, this isn't a sequal. The film then follows her cousin Aviva in her quest to become 'a mom' (not neccesarilly 'pregnant', but a nurtering being). She runs away from home, and her travels become a fable-like journey through the American cultural landscape.

When I say fable-like, I'm not talking a Disney story. I'm talking about old-school Grimm Brothers. From abortionists to christians to conservatives to liberals to....all across the board, Solondz leaves no stone unturned and so savages every facet of modern living that you start begging for suicide. Trust me, Parker and Stone are cowards in comparison.

But the thing is, the film isn't just about lampooning. It's a fable. Specifically, it's a journey-fable, and adding to the fable-like quality of the film is Solondz decision to have more than one actress play the title character. Now, I'm not saying he got 8 little white girls. He got 8 totally different girls (and women). Some small, some tall, some black, some white....now, this might sound confusing on paper, but in the film, it makes perfect and complete sense. The film is about the journey of one young girl, and the different actresses provide the self-image of said girl in a way thats perfect.

Now, the tough stuff-"Palindromes" (and any film Solondz will make in the future) will be criticised, lauded, and despised, not for the film tiself, but because of another film Solondz did. "Happiness". Another film where Solondz' on-target sense-of-mockery makes for lots of seat twisting. The thing is, "Happiness" dared to tell a story with one unusual conceit-every character in the film is exactly like people you would meet on an everyday basis, except for the child-molester. The conceit was that the child-molester in his story comes across as the most humane character (and "humane" is only in comparison. See, whilst everybody in the film fucks over everyone around them, the molester is the only person to feel any kind of remorse at his personal heartlesness). People have a hard time watching a film where the character is exactly like the viewer, and the viewer is made to be a more horrible human being than a pedarast. And whilst I tried to watch "Palindromes" outside of the prism of "Happiness", I'll admit that I did it also. However, it was for a much different reason than most "reviewers"-Taken together, "Palindromes", "Happiness", and Solondz' other films ("Welcome To The Dollhouse", "Fear, Anxiety, and Depression", and "Storytelling" to a lesser extent) provide not only some of the most savage critiques on modern life by anybody, but the rantings of a modern Johnathan Swift.

For those who don't remember, Jonathan Swift was a satirist whose writings were such brutal mockeries of everything he saw around him that he was confused as a misanthropist. No. He was such a humanist that he was compelled to make the most savage, brutal, and horrible fun that anybody ever could of people. The compulsion came from his belief that humans were capable of so much more than they usually aspired to, and his savagry was his mirror to our personal "debasement" (our failure to live up to our promise). In Solondz, I see the same feeling at work, and just as people recoiled in horror upon reading "Gulliver's Travels" or "A Modest Proposal" the first time around, people will continue to recoil when stumbling upon the work of Solondz for a long time coming. By venting his spleen so uncomfortably, Solondz is daring us to become better people. Are you courageous enough to try?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #958
AlKilyu

AHHHH thanks Loy! That's right!
I saw Oldboy on your recommendation and I am glad I did. That movie kicks all kinds of ass with a baltine hammer.

Ashamed to say I have yet to see "Wishing Stairs", but the preview for it...specifically the last 20 seconds...that haunted me all night. >_<
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:58 AM   #959
Alain

I *heart* Huckabees

Hope you've all seen it. I sat beneath a blanket and had lots of fun!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #960
Selena

Last night I saw Ju-On and Ju-On 2 on tv. I liked it! Haven't seen The Grudge yet, so I can't tell about the American remake.

But both movies are a little weird. Sometimes I got confused in connecting the different characters.

I think I'm starting to become immune to horror movies. XD
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #961
soggypicklemuncher

I liked I <3 Huckabees. It was cool how it showed the two extremes of existentialism, nihilism on the one hand and the belief that everything is connected to everything else on the other. It's not often that a highly advertised big industry film has such a good plot and script, as well as fantastic actors. I remember back when I was a kid, in first or second grade probably, and my babysitter listened to Mark E. Mark, a.k.a. Mark Wahlberg.

It makes no difference

Old 09-17-2005, 06:26 PM   #962
Loy

Al-"Wishing Stairs" is on DVD (which brings about a tangent, and this has been a long time coming....I'm fucking ECSTATIC that Tartan has finally started doing region 1 releases! Now everybody I know without a regionless DVD player can understand why I love these guys so much). And have you seen "Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance" yet? I know it hit theatres up here recently (finally. wonder if "J.S.A.' is gonna get a release soon?), and figured it'd be playing there soon. Though I don't love "Sympathy' as much as "Oldboy' or "J.S.A.", "Sympathy' is definately a worthy predecessor to "Oldboy".....to me it's more of a test run than an actual film, but it's still pretty decent.

And for more cool news (and reasons for you to come up here), in November (as a birthday present to me....OK, not really, but I'd like to think so) Scarecrow Video is bringing Werner Herzog into town to play the last 4 films he made, including the sci-fi film he did with NASA and Brad Dourf. Heh.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:51 AM   #963
Star of Blight

Well, I'm gonna preface this brief film note by saying this.

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan. For those of you who play video games (or know anything about current pop culture) then you know about this series of console based role playing games. Yes, some of them have been good, but by and far the vast majority of the games (numbering almost 20 now in total if you count the spinoffs) have been pure crap. Even the Final Fantasy movie that came out a few years ago was pretty asstastic.

Well, last nigh, for shits and giggles, I downloaded a fansub of the new film, Final Fantasy: Advent Children. For those of you who haven't heard, it's the cgi film sequel to Final Fantasy 7. Now at first when I heard about it I was rather scheptical. But after having sit down with my roomie and watching this movie, I can only say that I was pretty impressed.

To quote my roomie "That's some pimpin shit."

That is all.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #964
ice

I watched Memento just now. Wow.

That movie was honestly one of the best I've ever seen.
And really, that's all I can say about it. Jeeeze (I'm feeling blown away).

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #965
wikked

Mewtwo Returns. Stop looking at me like that; my little one picked it. I don't like Pokemon, but Mewtwo is kind of sexay. That or maybe the abstinence thing is beginning to affect me.
wikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #966
chelseagirl

I last watched Immortal with Jude Law, which was pretty good, and Eternal Blood, which I absolutely loved! The cast are all absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is awesome. I could just stare at Vampira, Elizabeth and Dahmer for hours....
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #967
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I last watched Immortal with Jude Law, which was pretty good, and Eternal Blood, which I absolutely loved! The cast are all absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is awesome. I could just stare at Vampira, Elizabeth and Dahmer for hours....
Dear Chelsea Girl, please click on the following link and read the whole thread before posting new messages. Thank you.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=119
Old 09-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #968
Loy

OK, so I'm gonna be little Mr. Downer on your parades, but I have to say it-I hated "Memento".

To me, "Memento" was a brilliant idea wasted, and I know exactly who to blame-Chris Nolan. Nolan suffers from the Coppolla syndrome, where he has great ideas, but doesn't have either the talent or the balls to go all the way with them (or even give them a proper film). I mean, "Following" was THIS close to being a decent update of Bresson's "Pickpocket", but then he turns it into a generic thriller. And don't even get me started on the mess he did with "Insomnia" (lesson # 1 to all budding film-makers out there: if you're gonna remake a great film, do a good job at it.).

"Memento" tweaks with the "normal" mode of telling stories by telling it backwards. However, he does nothing more than just show the scenes in reverse order. Guess what this makes the film? That's right, a one-trick pony. No deeper exploring of the concept or the idea, no real expository nuances, nothing. Just "Gee golly, look at me! I told this story backwards. See how cutting edge I am?".

What's so odious about this attitude....actually, the second most odious thing about it is how many people he's fooled into thinking he's great. The MOST odious thing about it is how other directors have done this (and even more tweaking with story exposition/order/whatever) more powerfully. Ever heard of Atom Egoyan? Jean-Luc Godard? Gaspar Noe? "The Godfather" parts 1 and 2? Yeah, didn't think so.

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #969
spookypurple

Finally got round to watching Razor Blade Smile.
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #970
soggypicklemuncher

Videodrome, George Romero's Dawn of the Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake. I know some people will discredit any remake as an opportunistic attempt to make money from a recognizable name, but I think in theis case the film has some merit. It didn't simply duplicate the original script.

It came pretty close to having the same core characters with some changes, and really only took the premise of taking refuge from zombies in a shopping mall. The writer(s) and director(s) are big fans of the original and they wanted to do it justice.

The thing about the new film is that the irony of zombies in a mall is obsolete. Scary. I still think the original is a much better film, but the new one isn't a turd like most remakes.

It makes no difference

Old 09-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #971
winged_dreams

Born into Brothels

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #972
Spooky_Gurl

The last movie I watched would be Corpse Bride!! I AM IN LOVE WITH TIM BURTON!! His movie's are awesome. Awesome Soundtrack!! Must see movie
Spooky_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #973
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggypicklemuncher
Videodrome

*shiver* My folks let my sister and her friends babysit me one night (I couldn't have been more than five) and watched (uncut) Videodrome and The Exorcist.

Videodrome....five years old...and people wonder why I am fucked up. I remember wondering why Blondie was fucking with the good guy. Actually I was in a state of WTF from begining to end. At least I understood what was going on in "Exorcist", so crazy as it sounds it was a welcome change.

I saw "The Thing" at that age too, along with "The Deer Hunter" and every other fucked up movie that came through our brand-new "cable".

Crazy.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #974
AlKilyu

OH last movie I watched was "Oldboy".

When you think of ways to get revenge on someone who did you wrong (I will not say if the lead character deserved it or not, sort of a spoiler) there is no way in hell you could fathom what the person who is out to get revenge does. No way. Death is better than what ends up happening to this guy. I watched it by myself and I even turned my head (not visually repulsive) and said aloud "Oh FUCK ME!" Pretty sad, eh? By myself, late at night, in my underwear yelling that?

You really need to see this movie.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #975
Spooky_Gurl

the last movie i watched was.....umm....oh yeah ... FEVER PITCH
funny movie..recamend it if you like baseball and comedy
Spooky_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote