Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #76
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Actually no, the Egypt stuff Ann Rice and others use is completely made up and has no roots in Egypt. In fact as far as I've seen, Egypt is one of the few societies without a vampire legend of some sort. Though the vampyre legends actually predate Egypt.
I read all of Rice's vampire stories years ago, before I even joined gnet, so I do know what you're talking about.
I'm not sure where you got the bit about it predating Egypt..... o_o I understood that it came from Romany gypsies. The European church hunted vampires from the 1500s to the start of the 1900s. Incidentally it wasn't originally a curse "Nosferatu" means plague carrier so it was originally seen as a disease given to people who lived a very wicked life (murderers, rapists etc) and then died.
People with Tuberculosis were also thought to be vampires as they'd go very pale and cough up blood. People with TB when they died were dug up again and had stuff done to the corpses to stop them walking again such as cutting out the heart and burning it. They found their evidence for them being vampires as well upon exhumation, because as you know the skin gets tighter upon death giving the impression around the mouth of elongated teeth, the skin shrinking effect also adds to the effect of longer hair and the nails still grow because they're essentially dead skin anyway.
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #77
6SixSick

Quote:
Well you're forgetting the fact that vampires are monsters, the undead. Vampirism is a curse, damnation, an abomination of that which is good, curses aren't meant to cater to what one wants, they are meant to cause SUFFERING.
Did Dracula ever ask if anyone wanted to look like a corpse before he turned them.. no he turned whoever he wanted to whenever he wanted to, damning them to a hellish life as a perversion of who they once were for all of eternity. Dracula was a horror story for Christ's sake.

Dracula of course is based on even older legends stemming from a lack of understanding of the decomposition of the human body. Be glad Stoker didn't completely accurately copy all the attributes of the original vampire legend, or we'd have extremely hairy fat vampires instead of the ones we know best. Bela Lugosi certainly wouldn't have qualified for such a role, and Bauhaus would then not have had him as the basis for their music. Goth as we know it might have never come about if Stoker went for complete accuracy to the legend, meaning that quite possibly none of us would have ever met due to gnet never being created.

I would hardly associate a tan vampire with mystique and edginess, those words being reserved for things which are uncommon, which a tan is not.

Also "BTW, Hadeem Hardison plays the Goul"It's spelt "Ghoul". Goul apparently is an old name for the safe zone in a game of tag.
Sorry I din't see this post. I've gone into a litttle more (narsty) deal anyways
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #78
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookycreep View Post
Purple? Again with that California grape shit! (I'm joking! I'm joking!)
My washing machine is racist cause it makes me seperate the whites from the colorsss!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #79
Sinjob

^Watch out Sinbad.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #80
Ben Lahnger

I find it interesting that Pathogen, the OP that started this thread, hasn't been active since May of 2006.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #81
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
I'm not sure where you got the bit about it predating Egypt..... o_o I understood that it came from Romany gypsies. The European church hunted vampires from the 1500s to the start of the 1900s. Incidentally it wasn't originally a curse "Nosferatu" means plague carrier so it was originally seen as a disease given to people who lived a very wicked life (murderers, rapists etc) and then died.
People with Tuberculosis were also thought to be vampires as they'd go very pale and cough up blood. People with TB when they died were dug up again and had stuff done to the corpses to stop them walking again such as cutting out the heart and burning it. They found their evidence for them being vampires as well upon exhumation, because as you know the skin gets tighter upon death giving the impression around the mouth of elongated teeth, the skin shrinking effect also adds to the effect of longer hair and the nails still grow because they're essentially dead skin anyway.
I don't have the specific source material that I was verifying my information with at the time at the moment, but if memory serves me right, even the Mesopotamians had their own version of a vampire.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #82
Spookycreep

Quote:
My washing machine is racist cause it makes me seperate the whites from the colorsss!
It needs educating: clothes are clothes no matter what color they are. You can tell the machine I said this. And you're a goth, what are you doing with whites any way?
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #83
Spadille

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu View Post
LOL I knew it was a joke the moment I saw it. Who the hell took that seriously?

But seriously, Goth is the new Jonestown Cult for the 00's. wink hahaha who the hell buys this for real? sheesh!
.... Being from Guyana...where 'Jonestown' was located, I can safely say that I disagree. 1- Most people only heard about the cult after the mass deaths (not the case with Goth) 2- They were being promised some weird, freaky, ridiculous stuff (not the same) 3- There is no MAIN leader who speaks to us from a centre of highly trusted few...
Spadille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #84
Spadille

Quote:
You're forgetting the death part, in case you hadn't noticed, corpses tend to be pale, and vampires are the undead after all. Bodies of light skinned people turn pale within 2 hours after death, due to lack of blood flow causing the blood to flow with gravity to whatever parts of the body are closest to the ground. In the case of a blood drained corpse this would probably happen even faster. Blood is an big part of our skin color.
...corpses of white people may tend to be pale... in other cases, thre just tends to be an even tone of what the persons' skin colour was like when they were alive... people who are dark but not 'so dark' tend to have darker marks around where the skin would have been harmed.. and in a way they tend to look a bit darker overall... I wonder if with the last bit you are implying that people with darker skin have darker blood...?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #85
Spadille

Quote:
Yes, because I am really Dracula! muahahahaha.. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to count to 12 with the help of my pet bats muahahahahaha!...

.....Anyways what I mean is by made up, is lore that doesn't have actual origins in past cultures.

Oddly enough, on that note, there are some bits of vampire lore that have vampires which are compelled to count everything, so if you want to get away from one, just drop a bunch of rice or other numerous items on the ground, and they'll have to stop and count each grain. So yeah, kudos to Sesamie Street.
...In Guyana and some other caribbean countries we have the belief in a creature known as Old Higue... usually described as an old woman/crone in its true form, the creature sucks persons at nights leaving heavy dark circular bruises on the body. They 'shed' their human form at nights and must return to these human forms before the sun comes up. To catch one one can lay a pile of rice grains which they are forced to count... or one can hide their human skin...making them exposed to the sun...
Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #86
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadille View Post
I wonder if with the last bit you are implying that people with darker skin have darker blood...?
Nope, rest assured, I am not a racist, though to be fair some of my ancestors were. I've never really had a chance to closely examine a dark skinned person's skin, and I doubt anyone is going to take kindly to a stranger coming up to them on the street and asking to take a close look at their skin, and even less kindly if I were to ask to study their blood drained corpse for scientific purposes. So I'm not how much the blood is visible through the skin in those cases, but still it does undoubtedly have a role.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #87
Ben Lahnger

I like how this thread, which was started by a guy who hasn't been active here since 2006, keeps getting resurrected by Newbs who search it out and comment on some post from the past like they're adding something new.

I shall name this thread "Lazarus"!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #88
Spadille

Quote:
Nope, rest assured, I am not a racist, though to be fair some of my ancestors were. I've never really had a chance to closely examine a dark skinned person's skin, and I doubt anyone is going to take kindly to a stranger coming up to them on the street and asking to take a close look at their skin, and even less kindly if I were to ask to study their blood drained corpse for scientific purposes. So I'm not how much the blood is visible through the skin in those cases, but still it does undoubtedly have a role.
Lol...never said you were...it was an honest question, I try not to ask questions I don't really want the answer to. Humm..I've had racist ancestors too, I still have racist family members...but then again..what to do? Lol.. 'Closely examine'? I'm sorry, it's just that this is all strange to me.. I guess it's just a case of where we were born...right? You never know... someone may be willing to let you investigate... about the blood drained one... hummm...uni's? ...morgues? ... humm..might be a bit harder indeed.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #89
Spadille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I like how this thread, which was started by a guy who hasn't been active here since 2006, keeps getting resurrected by Newbs who search it out and comment on some post from the past like they're adding something new.

I shall name this thread "Lazarus"!
awww...darling Ben... I have added new things to it.. Notice the portion on Old Higue... Lazarus indeed, lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #90
Grausamkeit

And I shall cheer: "Dig, Lazarus, dig!"

lol

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #91
Elystan

Quote:
Incidentally it wasn't originally a curse "Nosferatu" means plague carrier
No it means "night bird". The plague carrying thing was a story element added to the film of the same name by Fritz Lang and was (along with the title characters appearance) probably a manifestation of antisemitic feeling in the country at the time (jews were traditionally accused of spreading plague).
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote