Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #76
bjork_freak

Today I started the district writing assessment. The topic was what my favorite day of the year is and why. At school, I have to brainstorm with a web/list/etc (which isn't my first approach when I am just writing for myself). I usually make my web so immense that it takes up the whole paper. Then the girl sitting next to me told people about I had a bomb ass Christmas (Christmas isn't my favorite day of the year, it is actually Halloween but I didn't think that it offered enough to write a five paragraph essay about it).
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 AM   #77
spookypurple

Mind you, a large web would be very useful if you had to write a character-driven story.... Think of all the basics you could have already covered...

But, can I just ask - what's a district writing assessment?

And how much of the working out do you have to show? Are they interested in the finished product? In the whole process from initial written ideas to the end result?

How much drafting do they expect you to do? And do you have to include it? And your reasons for re-drafting? Or is the redrafting down to you?

Ooooh. Too many questions... Sorry about that. Just really interested. You know, what are they hoping you'll gain from the experience...

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #78
spookypurple

Perhaps i should really post this in the film thread....

Hmmm... Perhaps I will.

http://www.stewartferris.com/pages/Movie_formula.htm

This can either be taken seriously or laughed off as a satirical swipe at most blockbusters. But apparently it does get used.

I mean, I dunno, are there any screenplay writers on here? I know tere are lots of poets, short-story writers and novelists, but...

Oh well, if you are there, and I've forgotten, then my sincerest apologies. Lot on the mind at the mo.

But have a look, and think back to the last film you saw...

Hamlet
Old 04-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #79
Dark Adventurer

Sequels To My First (Published) Novel

I'm writing the follow-ups to my first published novel SECRET OF THE AMAZON QUEEN.

I'm finishing the second book, titled TROPIC OF DESPAIR, and have started the third book, titled BLACK APPLES.

These are in a 'dark adventure' series of books from LOST CONTINENT LIBRARY. They are sort of a Solomon Kane thing; H.Rider Haggard and Talbot Mundy on expedition with Robert E. Howard and Edgar A. Poe.

If you read them and don't like the verbose diction, my only excuse is that I am going for an 'olde' style.

TROPIC OF DESPAIR is more audacious, in some ways, than SECRET OF THE AMAZON QUEEN. But it tells a larger story and is better, I think.

With BLACK APPLES, I'm getting it right! It's a bit smaller of a tale, but the writing just seems to be looking better in rough draft than the first two. Of course, I'm taking more time with it.

I thoroughly love writing these books and hate to end them with the fifth, but I want the set complete so I can write some other things. I can always return to the main character, JULIUS CORBIN.

What I am trying to do with these JULIUS CORBIN books is make my contribution to modern interpretation of true classic gothic literature, as opposed to 'goth', per se.
Dark Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #80
spookypurple

Well, hello there, Dark Adventurer!

So come on, then, details! I, for one, want to know all about you!

I hope you've posted some of this in the shill section....

How do you work? When? Where? How long did it take to get published? Or have you already put this in your initial intro thread?

I must go see!

Hamlet
Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #81
corporalaccident

I'm writing a story about a famous poet who's also secretly in love with an eight year old girl, and he'll do anything to get her, even kill. I think it's one of the better pieces of writing I've done, and it's based on an incredibly disturbing dream I once had.
corporalaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #82
Icarian Decoding

I'm dipping my pen in fiction. I don't know why, but I am.

It's a story about a kid who becomes rich and powerful, because he steals. Then, he has to deal with everything he's done. That's the basic plot.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:55 AM   #83
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporalaccident
I'm writing a story about a famous poet who's also secretly in love with an eight year old girl, and he'll do anything to get her, even kill. I think it's one of the better pieces of writing I've done, and it's based on an incredibly disturbing dream I once had.

I like the sound of that. But you're right. It does sound disturbing. Have you ever written anything like this before? You're going to end up in some dark places. You know what I mean....! The proper dark spaces. Well, I hope you know what I mean.... Are you able to just let yourself go and let it take you with the flow? That's some sombre stuff to try and get out of your head afterwards.

Still, if it was a dream, I'm guessing it would be cathartic to actually see it outside of your head as a physical thing.

When you go back to it from a break or whatever, do you looking forward to writing it?

Will you be getting it published, or will it appear on here? I'd love to see it...

Hamlet
Old 04-22-2006, 03:01 AM   #84
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarian Decoding
I'm dipping my pen in fiction. I don't know why, but I am.

It's a story about a kid who becomes rich and powerful, because he steals. Then, he has to deal with everything he's done. That's the basic plot.

Go for it. 'S funny, but when reading your plot, a scene from Pulp Fiction came to mind - in the house of Uma Thurman's character. Because I remember thinking at the time (old, prim f*rt that I am) 'Typical, it always seems to be the criminals that end up with all the nice stuff. What kind of meesgae is that sending?'

So is this a short or a full-length novel? What and who is he going to have to deal with? Is he a loner, or a person with a wide circle of friends and family? Do they know? Do they care? Are they actually part of his world of theft? Or does he keep it secret from them all? If so, what lies is he having to tell? How complicated do the lies get? Oooh, I have so many questions!

But I'll settle for an answer to just this one - when will it be ready?

Hamlet
Old 04-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #85
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
Mind you, a large web would be very useful if you had to write a character-driven story.... Think of all the basics you could have already covered...

But, can I just ask - what's a district writing assessment?

And how much of the working out do you have to show? Are they interested in the finished product? In the whole process from initial written ideas to the end result?

How much drafting do they expect you to do? And do you have to include it? And your reasons for re-drafting? Or is the redrafting down to you?

Ooooh. Too many questions... Sorry about that. Just really interested. You know, what are they hoping you'll gain from the experience...
A district writing assessment is when the school gives us a prompt and we have to write a multi-paragraph essay on it. We have two class periods to brainstorm, complete a rough draft, and complete a final draft. I don't know if it is a placement test or anything of that matter, I just know I have been taking them since like the sixth grade. They are mainly interested in the main product...I don't think they even glance at the prewriting or the rough draft. I don't really know what they want me to gain from it. I know I haven't gained anything from it besides a headache.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #86
spookypurple

Ah. Sorry if the question seemed a little insensitive....

Hope the head's feeling's better!

Oh well, at least it sets you up with some potentially useful techniques that you may find handy at some point, you know, like when a story's exploding to get out of your head and you don't know which details to pour out first...

Hamlet
Old 04-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #87
spookypurple

I apologise profoundly for the apalling typo in no.101. 'meesgae'? How did that one escape me?

Blame tiredness, stress and lack of decent sleep (Yes, I know I've already mentioned it. I thought it deserved repeating haha).

But I'm going to deal with one of those right now. Or probably two. Potentially all three, if you think holistically...

Hamlet
Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #88
A Simple Poet

I think I am ditching the Gothic Space Opera genre for now ... simply because I have not been able to "feel" it. In fact, I've only been writing poetry and am really insecure about the talent level of my prose at this point. I am therefore writing a "fanfic" (which I despise) as an exercise in working out characters on page. It has a werewolf protagonist trying to work out of his evil past, cure his curse, and also discern whether or not a daughter he had by a former slave has the curse. He is also trying to genuinely woo that same slave...it's a bit of a juxtaposed serial at this point based in Tolkien's Middle Earth.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #89
bjork_freak

Quote:
Ah. Sorry if the question seemed a little insensitive....

Hope the head's feeling's better!

Oh well, at least it sets you up with some potentially useful techniques that you may find handy at some point, you know, like when a story's exploding to get out of your head and you don't know which details to pour out first...
Insensitive? Of course not! You were just curious. My head is a lot better now that it is over, thank you . It's too bad it is a misdemeanor to keep aspirin in your backpack at school.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #90
spookypurple

Thanks. Why is it a misdemeanor to keep aspirin in your backpack? Sorry, again with the questions...

I'd suggest carrying some lavender oil with you, but that could start a totally different bucket of trouble - even with a clear label!

Hamlet
Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #91
bjork_freak

Lavender oil? Where might I get that? There was a Neo-Pagan store downtown that sold oils, but they closed.

I do not know why it is against the law to keep medicine with you. It's a bummer because I get migraines a lot from my sensitive eyes. I think the rules are you have to get a referral from the doctor stating you have permission to keep medicine at school, but you have to leave it in the high school office.

I'm interested in the lavender oil suggestion...how do I use it?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #92
spookypurple

Ah, yes, I can almost see the point of that. We had a similar rule whenI was teaching - though no-one was older than 11 and about the most potent thing was strawberry flavoured penicillin!

You have sensitive eyes too?! It's a pain, eh? I mean, literally. I can only really see properly about dusk, so I wear photo-sensitive spectacles. Though they don't change fast enough sometimes...

Anyway. Oil. Lavender essential oil. You may be able to get it in a pharmacy (drugstore?) as it's pretty much ubiquitous these days. Simply put a drop on your index finger, spread a bit onto your other index finger, then gently massage it into your temples (circling front to back). With another drop, spread across your fingertips, stroke your forehead, fingers meeting in the middle, smoothing across from centre to your temples. With your ring finger, press gently just under your brow (on the edge of your browbone).

You can actually get away with doing this (though possibly without the oil) in class. It just looks like you're thinking hard!

Hope this helps.

Hamlet
Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #93
Engulfed_in_darkness

Quote:
Found it!

Will give it a read.
Thank you. What did you think?
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #94
Wise Child

At the moment I'm trying to put together a series of poems based around fairy tale figures (I'm addicted to fairy tales, particularly European ones), each one told from a different figure's point of view - e.g. The Ugly Sister, from the angle of feeling overlooked and inadequate, a dragon, Rapunzel in the tower, Little Red Riding Hood - the whole nine yards. It's really more of an exercise than anything else - as previously mentioned I'm a pretty wayward writer and I tend to only write when I feel specifically inspired, which = a ton of unfinished projects. Not good for someone who tries to write novels (and consequently, has no fewer than five unfinished ones on the go, to varying degrees of completion).

I'm hoping this will help me develop the patience to stick with long-term projects, and it's easing myself in because it's still technically lots of little ones which, when finished, will form a series. I want to tell each narrative in a different style, so I can hop between them if I get bored, and it's also a way to develop technically - I'm going to try to use lots of different techniques to give myself some practice, like different ryme schemes, blank verse, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for fairy tale figures whose narrative would be interesting, I'd appreciate suggestions; I'm still trying to put together exactly what I want in there. I have virtual cookies for anyone who wishes to partake.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #95
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
... - as previously mentioned I'm a pretty wayward writer and I tend to only write when I feel specifically inspired, which = a ton of unfinished projects. Not good for someone who tries to write novels (and consequently, has no fewer than five unfinished ones on the go, to varying degrees of completion).

Sounds like me. My writings rarely get finished, I have the ideas but getting around to putting it on paper with a proper structure, it just doesn't happen. Essays on the other hand, I have to do those so they are probably the only things that get finished since I need them for my English classes.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #96
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Sounds like me. My writings rarely get finished, I have the ideas but getting around to putting it on paper with a proper structure, it just doesn't happen. Essays on the other hand, I have to do those so they are probably the only things that get finished since I need them for my English classes.
Exactly the same. I'm pretty disciplined with essays, because you have to be, but when it comes to stuff I do for fun I'm really lazy.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #97
spookypurple

I find a really good short deadline quite inspiring.

Sorry. That's being a bit flippant. I'm trying to get back into a good routine after the play and it's difficult. And there's this group that I'm writing a film script for. They want it by 'early May'. Now I'm figuring/hoping that this Friday counts as early May.

But I know what'll happen. I'll be here at 3 in the morning the night before getting it done. Having said that, that it actually when I work best. So far, I've got the beginning, and a good strong end scene. But I'm going a bit blah-blah with the middle scenes.

Metaphorical kicks up the btm welcome!

Hamlet
Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #98
Loy

5 articles.....3 scripts.....a short story....and reviews...lots and lots of reviews....
Old 05-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #99
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Exactly the same. I'm pretty disciplined with essays, because you have to be, but when it comes to stuff I do for fun I'm really lazy.
Procrastinating is what it is. The thing is, if I was more serious about writing, I would probably get it done but since I'm not exactly out to be a writer, I just let it sit. Also I have a couple other recreational activities as well, it's hard to juggle so many. Or I'm just making excuses...

Do you write poetry or short stories or...what's your main category?
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #100
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Do you write poetry or short stories or...what's your main category?
I only started writing poetry a couple of weeks after I joined here, actually. It suits me, as projects are shorter and easier to complete in under an hour, but novels are my first love really - although I've never actually completed one... Well, one is nearly done. I started it when I was seventeen.

How about you, Virulent?