Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #976
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yes, I saw that on the site. I don't know. I tend to be weary of books being turned into movies, some have turned out really horribly. They better do a good job or I will hunt them down and murder them all. *Laughs* Well not quite that far, but they better do a good job. I love that series.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #977
MollyMac

"Triskell Tales" by Charles deLint
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #978
BLEED REBELION!!!

I just finished the vampire lestat - ann rice
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #979
Toxic_Envy

Just finished reading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel and have just started reading Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.
Toxic_Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #980
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I just finished "The Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult. And soon I will move on to "The Stand" by Stephen King.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #981
Godslayer Jillian

Shadowfall, by James Clemens. Everything that happens to the characters seems extremely clichéd, but by the hundred gods in the book, I can't stop reading it!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #982
MollyMac

"The Virgin Suicides" was a decent read, but it is one of those rare instances where a movie was a better portrayal of the story as the visuals were too precise...

The book I am currently re-reading "Big Fish" by Daniel Wallace, suffers the same malady. A lovely book, a painting in prose, but more fully realized by having the images on the silver screen. I was lucky enough to have read it before the film came out, some time back- and Burton's take was on the next level...

the only drawback is not his images, and not mine, fill my head when i read this book.

Same thing Happened with Updike's "The Witches of eastwick", although th book was a better telling, adn more engaging, I will forever see the actors who portyayed them in the movie when I re-read.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #983
Cicero

Passion by Jude Morgan. It's a novel about the poets Byron, Shelley and Keats, told through the eyes of their lovers. I'm rather enjoying it, if not for the beautiful writing then for the fact that it describes erotic scenes featuring Lord Byron!

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #984
grimreaper993

The Goth Bible by Nancy Kilpatrick
grimreaper993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #985
Mir

Dune by Frank Herbert, for the thousandth time. =/
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #986
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
I just finished reading Anne Rice's Pandora.

Didn't like it one bit. Well, maybe a little....but I am becoming rather disappointed in Rice. I liked "the vampire Armond" but this book seemed like a terrible mess to me. The characters were extremely flat, i would say, especialy Pandora. I understand the pleasure of reading about perfect personalities but not all the time... and not when they are always so completely the same in their perfectness. Also, there was hardly a story. If this book was to deal with Pandora, it should have dealt with Pandora and not with fragments of her lover's story.

Hmmm, yeah. And has anyone read this book?
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #987
Mir

An ode to drunks - Emily Harper.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #988
IsThatLatin

I'm reading "The Victorians" by A.N. Wilson, "Pole to Pole" by Michael Palin, and a Lenin biography, appropriately titled "Lenin," by David Shub.
IsThatLatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #989
Clockwork

Just finished reading The Scarlet Letter for my English class. It was actually a very good book in my opinion, which is often times a rarity for what we're assigned *shudders as he thinks back on Jane Eyre*

As for pleasure reading (which I don't engage in nearly as much as I'd like - slow reader, plus I never seem to find the time) I've been reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.

Oh, but there's a ton of other books of all varieties I'd relish getting a hold of. I could write a list of several pages maybe, if I sat down for a half hour.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #990
MollyMac

Reading Idylls of the King again, by Tennyson. Studying the illustrations more than the words this time. I have an old copy that used Julia Margaret Cameron's "pre-raphaelite" photos from the fin de ciecle of the nineteenth century as a basis for image... nice...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #991
Midnight_Fantasy

I've just started reading the new Artemis Fowl book and I will start reading Terry Pratchett's new book after. But mostly I read Edgar Allan Poe or non-fiction books (self-help etc).
Midnight_Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #992
PersephoneX

Elizabeth and Mary....its so sad....
chop chop chop...off with her head...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #993
PlainFear

The vampire lestat, Interview with a vampire and Queen of the damned all by Anne Rice and all at the same time.

oh yeah, and the devils footsteps....awesome book that.
PlainFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #994
Clockwork

Typically a series of books is better read in order. I myself don't like reading more than one book at a time, which is why I don't hold my English class in the best of regards.

And you ought to make one of these, PlainFear.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #995
CreepyTendencies

I just finished Perfume: the Story of a Murderer, which was excellent. Now I have to try and find the movie somewhere in a nearby theater. I'm currently reading A View From the Lake by Greg Gifune.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #996
Encaitare

Just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins... I didn't agree with everything he said, but on the whole it was an amazing read. I took a break from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke to read it. JS&MN is a great book, but I keep getting sidetracked by other books because this one is so long!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #997
Drake Dun

Yeah, I read that recently too. He has some things to say, and he gets massive points for not being rational instead of reasonable if you know what I mean. His best point is about the privilege religion enjoys, but my favorite part of the book is all the quotes and anecdotes. That is good stuff.

There is something seriously disingenuous going on behind the scenes, though. There is nothing wrong with most of his words when read for their literal meaning, but you can tell the boy has issues. On pages 326 and 327 he is almost definitely advocating using law enforcement to stop parents teaching religion to their children, but he stops just short of saying it in plain English, probably for the rather ignoble purpose of maintaining plausible deniability.

Plus there is this stuff:

"My passion is increased when I think about how much [they]... are missing. The truths of evolution, along with many other scientific truths, are so engrossingly fascinating and beautiful; how truly tragic to die having missed out on all that!"

Please. The Cure makes some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard, but you will not catch me starting debates and writing books to convince people who don't agree, against their inclinations. Beauty doesn't move to intellectual conquest. It takes fear or powerlust to do that.

Still... nice.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #998
PersephoneX

where's your intro?
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #999
Encaitare

Drake -- I agree, that one quote you cited reminds me of the super Jesus freaks who say, "I feel so sorry for anyone who isn't a Christian; they don't know that Jesus died for their sins and God loves them so much..." No matter who expresses such a point of view, it's a bit extreme. I guess I can see where he's coming from -- no one likes to think of their fellow humans as leading completely misguided lives. But as long as their beliefs don't hurt anyone, whatever.

I like it when I disagree with certain things in something I otherwise like and agree with. It lets me know that my mind is still working independently and that I'm not turning into a blind follower.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #1000
CreepyTendencies

I'm currently reading Cellars by John Shirley. It's quite good thus far!
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote