Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:59 PM   #1126
Kali Maxwell

"The Last House On The Left"

I am a serious horror movie addict, and I had heard it was a great movie, so I gave it a whirl... and was very disappointed in it.

It was boring, quite frankly. It took too long to get to the "juicy" parts, and the idiot had cut so much out of his own film it was ridiculous. The "psychos" weren't threatening, the cops were idiots... Poor writing abounds.

Definitely a let down. It's rock bottom, even when it comes to slasher films.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #1127
Phayte

I agree.. "Last house on the left" should be removed from all video rental stores so people dont waste their time on such a bad movie.
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #1128
FenrisQueen

I watched A Knight's Tale. Yeah, I'm a corny romantic.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #1129
FenrisQueen

I love Wat. He's just brilliant. And fong is a wonderful word. Fong. Fong. It says it all.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #1130
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Did you catch the documentary "One Day in September" from about 4 years ago? It, with Munich, make for an incredible albeit depressing double feature.
I've heard of it, but never seen it. With that of note, I will definitely look into getting ahold of and watching it here within the next week or so.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #1131
winged_dreams

Wedding Crashers. It was funny. Nothing too spectacular.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #1132
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Best part of the whole film was to watch these Sayeret Matkal guys (Israeli Special Forces) just completely desimate a bunch of PLO and Black September leaders in Lebanon.

Fuck...you rawk!

I heard it bashes the Israelis...makes them look wrong for retaliating...is that true? If you tell me it's worth seeing I'll go see it.

Same thing with Team America: I thought it would piss me off so I didn't go but you were right in your review of it.

I saw a biopic of the Three Stooges on TV the other morning, and yes I got weepy when Curly (and hell, even Shemp) died.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #1133
Binkie

Yeah, I heard a fair share of things that I didn't see at all durring the course of the movie. Some said it equates the Israeli retaliation to the masacre at Munich. Didn't see how that connection was made. Every line questioning or damaging to Israel had the Israeli counter-point thrown right back at it in dialogue (Israelis always had the last word). The only thing that I even thought even came close to bashing Israel was when the main character was questioning whether or not the men he had killed really had a part in planning Munich towards the end when he moved to America to be with his wife.

Most of the movie though was these Israelis laying the smack down in Europe. The more I look into these "damaging to Israel" claims, it seems more and more like they're just nitpicking over small details that didn't portray Israelis in the most divine light possible. If anything, the movie actually made me more Pro-Israel after seeing it.

Rest of the audience felt the same way, seemingly, as there was alot of clapping going on when one of the main characters made the quotable statement, "Don't fuck with the Jews."
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #1134
edible_eye

movies? how about 50 horror classics?

http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewIt...idProduct=1147
Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #1135
UltraNEO*

『殺し屋一』 - "Ichi the Killer"

Japanese, uncut version.

I love the part when one of the chinese dominatrix is beating up the blonde Japanese guy...

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #1136
horrorgirl

Last night I watched the following:
Reanimator
Land Of The Dead
This Is Spinal Tap
Black Samarai

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #1137
TeapotScar

Aliens I & II
I had never seen them before, and seeing them back to back was definitely a nice treat. They go right into one another, so there was no awkward "Ohhh waiiiiit... what's going onnnnn" moment in the beginning of the movie.
What sucked about it was the HUGE plot holes and things that just couldn't have happened. For starters, in the beginning of II, Sigourney was all "No! We have to just leave. The aliens JUST took our men, and they're DEAD. Immediately!", HOWEVER, at the end, she was all "No! She's still alive, even though the aliens have had her for a solid 10 minutes! She's just fine!" And then she was just fine. Things like that, little inconsistencies. Those just annoy the FUCK out of me.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #1138
pitseleh

Can't remember the last movie I watched, really, but I'm currently slogging my way through a WWII documentary series called The World at War. It's from the 70's, produced by the BBC and narrated by Laurence Olivier, so it's real quality stuff. One of the most essential documentaries ever, according to some, and it's hard to argue with that.

Lots of archive footage of troops fighting, marching or just going about their everyday business. Aerial and naval combat, maps showing the tactics of different battles... Some of it is even in color. There are interviews with the people who were actually there, from soldiers to businessmen to top brass, and each episode deals with specific theaters of war and time periods.

Just finished watching the one on the British vs. the Japanese in Burma. Hellish.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #1139
ExistentialDisorder

Monday -
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Skeleton Key

Tuesday -
Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Cave

Today -
Edward Scissorhands (cause my neice and nephew never saw it).

Review: War of the worlds was actually pretty good, I thought. For what it was, at least. And I usually despise anything Tom Cruise has to do with. He's the same character in every one of his films and it just grates my nerves. Anyway, I had to read the book in high school literature class, so I knew the ending. My neice got pissed (she's 12) because she thought the ending was stupid. I didn't understand why she thought it would be any different from the book, until I realised she has not been required to read it. And probably won't be. I thought it was required reading for everybody.

Skeleton Key also was pretty damned cool. I wasn't too impressed until the very end. Its nothing profound, but it does kind of kick you in the ass. Least it did for me.

Tuesday wasn't nearly as exciting...

Emily Rose was rather boring. Most of it is court room antics and anybody out there that's sitting on a jury is not going to buy the whole supernatural, demons, possession bs - otherwise every murderer in the world would get off. But its one of those movies that leaves you to decide on your own what was true and what wasn't. The biggest qualm I had with it was that they hyped it up to be based on a true story. The ONLY part of it that's true was that some girl - with a completely different name - died durring a supposed exorcism in germany durring the early 1970's. I would not have bought the dvd, had I seen it in theaters.

The Cave was a piece of shit. The concept had potential, but the fact that I recognized NOBODY should have been the first clue - it usually is in films, at least for me. I thought the previews looked cool, what little previews there were. A 90+ mile cavern in the mountains filled with some kind of bat creature thing from hell or somewhere - the writers probably didn't even know. The action was so muttled you couldn't tell what the hell was going on most of the time. And at the end, the exit is like 15 feet from the main room, under some water. WTF??? And what was the ice caverns shit about? It tried to be a vampire thing. Or at least I think so. The very end hinted at a sequal. Gawd i hope not. These are the films that remind me why it is i never buy dvd's before I've seen them first...

I have Dark Water sitting in a bag unopened. I'm kind of afraid to...

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #1140
Needled

Yesterday I attended a nice little sleepover at my cousins house. We watched "A Cinderella Story". Uh, my take? I feel asleep.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #1141
AlKilyu

I went, two piece suit, patent leather shoes and all, to see the latest movie from the director of The Grudge called Marebito.

edit: Review removed cause I more than likely suck at it.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #1142
Morpheus_Noctifer

I hit the matinee of Bloodrayne yesterday. Decent popcorn movie, about one step below a Hammer film. Oh, and lots of mullets for 19th Century Romania.
Morpheus_Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #1143
Bathory

I watched Saw last night, damn tht is a great film, who ever thought of such imaginative ways to kill people LOVE IT!
Bathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #1144
Nike

The last of the Mohicans. It was on tv, recently. I have to admitt that I haven't seen it before, and I was surprised, what a good movie it actually is. And the music was amazing. Got to buy that soundtrack. Soon.
And try to find the book again. I've read it when I was about 9,10....og time ago.

The last movie I saw in the cinema was King Kong. Plot was ...ahem, well, and many scenes not really believble, well, it was King Kong, so what...but I liked the design of Skull island...entertaining movie, nothing that moved me, but fun.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #1145
Kali Maxwell

"Walk The Line"

It was a really good movie. It definitely puts a new perspective on the man in black.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #1146
Soul_Immortal

Hostage...

((I don't ever shed a tear for a movie. Except for this one, and Bambi.))
Old 01-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #1147
Underwater Ophelia

I watched Amelie today.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #1148
ExistentialDisorder

The Ring Two... was actually pretty good for a sequel. Most of the time sequels to horror/suspense films suck. But this one, for a change seemed pretty decent. For the story content. I'm just wondering why people in the film are still using VCRs... and if there's plans for a part 3... maybe they'll finally go to dvd by then. heh.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #1149
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
The Ring Two... was actually pretty good for a sequel. Most of the time sequels to horror/suspense films suck. But this one, for a change seemed pretty decent. For the story content. I'm just wondering why people in the film are still using VCRs... and if there's plans for a part 3... maybe they'll finally go to dvd by then. heh.

In Japan there wasn't a third in the series. After 2 (which disregards Rasen because no one liked Rasen so they pretended it never exsisted) they made Ringu: Zero, which was a prequel. Anytime they make a prequel you can bet the storyline will go no further.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #1150
AlKilyu

I just finished watching "One Missed Call".

If your cell phone rings with this tone, you're fucked.

This being my second jhorror movie in less that 24 hours I must know why, with the exception of Ringu and Kairo, do most Japanese horror movies have to have two endings? Here in the states, if there is an alternate ending it's on the DVD somewhere else, seperate from the main flick. But not Japan!

Then again it's a Takashi Miike film, same guy who did , Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q, and the one I actually liked Audition.

Get used to this song because they are apparently remaking this one too and it should be out next year. The sequel open in Japan not that long ago and did good businesss.