Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #126
Empty_Purple_Stars

I munged up the Intro thread trying to delete three entire pages of arguing, last night.

*sigh*

We took it down until the Admins have a chance to un-mung it.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #127
edible_eye

only if you get naked first and post pics... well, with the appropriate black boxes over the sensitive parts.

and don't take all the credit, e_p_s - i helped mung it up.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #128
sensuous0mar

Black boxes? How dare you censor such art?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #129
Circle V

Maybe they'll just get frustrated with the lack of an intro thread and leave...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #130
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
I munged up the Intro thread trying to delete three entire pages of arguing, last night.

*sigh*

We took it down until the Admins have a chance to un-mung it.
Ok, we're still working on fixing that thread. However, we've decided that it would be nice to separate individual introductions, rather than have them all buried in one massive thread. This just makes more sense to us, and we hope that you see the value of this as well.

We've set up a brand new subforum, just for introductions and member bio stuff. Just start a new thread if you don't have one already and introduce yourself there.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #131
mortalitas incomitatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
Ok, we're still working on fixing that thread. However, we've decided that it would be nice to seperate individual introductions, rather than have them all burried in one massive thread. This just makes more sense to us, and we hope that you see the value of this as well.

We've set up a brand new subforum, just for introductions and member bio stuff. Just start a new thread if you don't have one already and introduce yourself there.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17

how does having potentially hundreds of new theads make more sense than having one intoductory thread?

personally i think we have enough threads to scan through and not to mention we have PM again so if someone intregues you you can PM them.

and we also have personal profiles, why not just update them a little and make tham more detailed?

am i just way off base here?

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #132
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalitas incomitatus
how does having potentially hundreds of new theads make more sense than having one intoductory thread?

personally i think we have enough threads to scan through and not to mention we have PM again so if someone intrigues you you can PM them.
Well, they have their own subforum, so clutter shouldn't be as much of a problem.

There is no reason a flamewar in a million page thread should bury everyone's introduction.
That just doesn't seem fair.

Very long threads are much more work to maintain and/or moderate.

These are a few of the reasons, off the top of my head.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #133
Pathogen.

Much better than the old design. Classier, too.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #134
Empty_Purple_Stars

While I am thinking about it, can anyone make suggestions on how we could implement a java chat applet without it becoming a free for all for horny trolls?

I passed the suggestion along. However, no one here(myself included) wants to contend with the mess that a chat forum could potentially degrade into without tight controls.

I welcome any suggestions you guys have, just don't know if it's worth the potential hassle or not.

The new Intro forum seems to be going well. Guess that means I have to get off my bum and make my own Intro thread.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #135
Circle V

Quote:
General questions and meet 'n greet. NEWBIES: Read "For the Newbies" in General, then post in "Introduce yourself here!" in General! And welcome!
This will need fixing.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #136
TrashedAndScattered

Wow.I certainly have missed alot...
Spring
TrashedAndScattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #137
Circle V

I would very much like to see a Philosophy section added, or the Politics section description modified to include philosophy.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #138
pitseleh

Guess I haven't posted in this thread yet. For the record, I love it. Kinda like a visit to a gothic grandma's house, with the ornate wallpaper and "wrought iron picket fence" at the bottom of the page.

Cheers to the landlord for letting us play on the lawn.

And yes, a member list with varios sorting options would be nice. But if it's any trouble or for some reason is undesireable to do so, I totally understand.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #139
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I would very much like to see a Philosophy section added, or the Politics section description modified to include philosophy.
I second the motion. Philosophy and the nonfiction writings are where my own skills lie; literary creations are awesome to consume, but if I'm going to contribute in an area where I'm not just fooling myself and looking like a fucktard, I'm going to need a section like that!
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #140
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Dear Gothic.net:

Any word on the java chat that Geisha suggested? I mean, is it in consideration, or anything?

Don't mean to be pushy. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter.
It might be easier to simply have those who want to chat set something up over PM's using Trillian or somesuch... I can understand the desire to just pop open a chat window and have it there (I grew up with IRC and AOL), but! And it's a big, hairy, warty 'but': those things never stay mature and reasonable, and, horror of horrors, I can virtually guarantee that the 1337-quotient would go through the roof.

<sorry 'bout the double post thing>
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #141
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
While I am thinking about it, can anyone make suggestions on how we could implement a java chat applet without it becoming a free for all for horny trolls?
Well, I'm not a java programmer. But here's a modest suggestion. The chat room should have an ignore button. And if a certain number of people in the room (let's say 5 for this example) all hit the ignore button for a certain troll, then that troll is bounced and cannot reenter the chat room for a certain period of time ... say 12 hours, for instance.

Is that doable? Then the chat room would be policed by community standards ... and among this group I think that would serve well enough.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote