Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #18051
Stormtrooper of Death

Aye, relaxation. Well I'm usually like that, unless I'm playing bass or pogoing. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #18052
honeythorn

Goodnight G.net. I am attempting the impossible task of sleep :/
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #18053
Delkaetre

Good luck, honeythorn. I should sleep soon as well... it's getting late, after all.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #18054
DepthsofSpace

I went on a most relaxing walk today. About 5km up through the wildlife refuge to this open field that just sits at the very top of the mountain (Tennessee mountains, means very large hill to the rest of you), with a pond to one side, set back into the woods. It was foggy, with a bit of freezing rain, so I don'd my (black) combat boots and (black) turtleneck and a (black) mug of nice hot coffee (that actually wasn't black =P) and took off out my back door (that is red, and must be painted black) and into the mist with my iPod. ^_^

I listened to mostly folk, but had a bit of Rolling Stones (take a crazy guess what song =P), Nike Cave and Nightwish on the playlist. Also, DCD and Ophelia's Dream makes great walking music.

All-in-all a good day off from work (finally!).

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #18055
(heartofflames)

Why does a farewell thread have 7 pages to it.....

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #18056
Nevan

WOOOOHOOOOO

My present has arrived!!!!!!!!

*bounces off the wall a couple of times*

And as if I'm not enough of a geek yet, I'm now friggin uber-geek...
(yes, an extra gig RAM and a 22" screen actually turns me on)

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #18057
raggedyanne

Yay for you Nevan! It's okay. My boyfriend jokes that looking at new dance shoes gets me hornier than anything he could ever do. DOn't ask why . . . maybe it has something to do with the lucious latin teacher? ;D
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #18058
Nevan

I can understand shoes - shoes can be VERY sexy - so that makes sense - boots turn me on as well...

So shoes, yes. But that a piece of silicone and a couple of chips can get me worked up? I think I might have reached the apex of 'nerd'.

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #18059
raggedyanne

Eh, whatever gives you pleasure can't be too bad of a thing.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #18060
Darcnyss

It's been quite a few days now that I've just been lurking most of the time. It just seems I just don't have anything meaningful to say anymore.

Oh, and congratulations on the memory and monitor, Nevan. I am extremely jealous now, since I could do with those components myself.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 AM   #18061
Nevan

Quiet phases come and go.

I missed my fencing class last night because of that monitor

Tonight my instructor's probably going to make me do push-ups or climb a rope or something.

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #18062
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcnyss
It's been quite a few days now that I've just been lurking most of the time. It just seems I just don't have anything meaningful to say anymore.
*surfaces the submarine to the surface of reason*

You're not the only one... Haven't been around much myself since Gnet turned into Sillyfest 2008 a couple of days or a week ago.

*dives again into the lurking depths of Gnet*

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #18063
Mir

How do you Goths deal with all the staring and the finger pointing? (I'm referring to the way you dress) It took all of 4 days of playing around with eye liner and nail polish and I'm done. I can't stand it. I'd rather appear as nondescript as possible than to stand out and be stared at.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #18064
Solumina

I'm fairly oblivious to the majority of the world around me so I never really took any notice of people looking at me. I wish that I could be more helpful.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #18065
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
How do you Goths deal with all the staring and the finger pointing? (I'm referring to the way you dress) It took all of 4 days of playing around with eye liner and nail polish and I'm done. I can't stand it. I'd rather appear as nondescript as possible than to stand out and be stared at.
I don't tend to get too much staring and finger pointing. And when there is, you have a choice of options.
1) ignore
2) smug superiority because you know you look better than them
3) smug superiority because you'd have the manners not to point and stare
4) smile
5) you have succeeded in getting people to stare. Success!
6) see option one

I wouldn't advise most of those, myself. I like options 1, 4, and 6. You dress the way you want to. If they have a problem, it's their problem and shouldn't bother you.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #18066
Mir

I agree, unequivocally, with the "you should do what you want to do" statement. I usually do what I want to do.

I guess, my want for "not attracting any attention to myself for appearance related reasons" outweighs my want "to dress however I like". I guess its just me then. I'm just weird. ha.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #18067
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
The context determines the reactions and your subsequent response:

a) people in the same neighborhood/workplace/commute/relatives: These people have known you and no longer give you a second glance. People do get used to things. Initially there are questions and comments and maybe even jokes ("Can I join your church?"), but then they talk to you or greet you like any other customer in line at the store or in a meeting or whatever.

b) strangers: there will always be stares and looks, in this case I am the one who gets used to it and it no longer bothers me.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #18068
Delkaetre

Weird? No, it's just being human.
Even goths don't like to look too out of place in certain contexts.
We'd never dream of going to a club in something that could attract derogatory stares and comments, we still wear things that will get us a certain kind of acceptance. Just not by the wider segment of society.

And people who disagree should perhaps note how much time goths spend on their appearance, how disparaging they can be of those who are doing it wrong, and how they follow certain fashions of their own.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #18069
Mir

Del: I guess my fashion sense and mind set probably screams out hippie. I'll admit that I have been to goth clubs looking pretty much like a cross between a hippie (style of clothing) and a metal head (all in black) and never really had any problems. I never got people flocking to chat me up, but, I never got any disparaging remarks/stares either.

HP: Doesn't it get really tiresome though? I mean you run into a lot more strangers than you do, relatives and friends.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #18070
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Del: I guess my fashion sense and mind set probably screams out hippie. I'll admit that I have been to goth clubs looking pretty much like a cross between a hippie (style of clothing) and a metal head (all in black) and never really had any problems. I never got people flocking to chat me up, but, I never got any disparaging remarks/stares either.

HP: Doesn't it get really tiresome though? I mean you run into a lot more strangers than you do, relatives and friends.
To be fair, the only goths that actually do the 'disparaging stare' thing in public are those without even the most basic of manners and even less tolerance of others. Thankfully, they're pretty rare!
Besides, there's a ton of 'hippy in black' kind of goths.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #18071
Mir

Ha, well, I'm just a hippie in black that looks like a love child of about three different fathers and five different mothers. *laughs*

Edit: And I only said that because I'm not a "Hippie wearing black Goth". The only label I feel remotely comfortable with is the hippie label. Hippies are usually the loveliest people I meet.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #18072
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Actually no. I get up, go to work, come home, mow the lawn, eat dinner and surf the net then go to bed. Same routine, same people along the way.

On the weekends, it is grocery shopping at the same store, same dry cleaners, walking past the same neighbors to get the mail, the same club at night, same restaurants, so no, I really don't see that many strangers, except at the restaurants or bookstores.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #18073
honeythorn

Ha, I know this feeling. Even the local chavs are used to me and do not say anything. I am the pet goth of the towns " normal " bars, which is the only place available to me for drinking, as my friends outvote me every time! Oh well. I can cope with the hideous excuse for music, as long as I have lots and lots of Jack and a couple of glasses of wine ( and my friends to laugh at ) I got many compliments for my humbug stripy heels last time
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #18074
Mir

HoneyTHORNEEEEEeeeeeeeee!! Good evening! I am a solid Uncle Jack man myself. =)
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #18075
honeythorn

Aaaaah hello Mmmmm Jack...I cannot drink it neat though >.< I have to mix it with Bitter lemon or Lemonade with LOTS of ice and a slice in a big tall glass. Several of those and some wine, and I'm anyone's .Terrible things can occur...I hug people.. anyone! , I have even danced!
Closed Thread